Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Model X instead of new Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At some point I will want to have an electric SUV. Model 3 is a nice car but it lacks in trunk space when you gotta haul stuff. I'm just hoping it's a more fun car to drive for me to forgo the space of a Model Y or X.

But I feel Model X is the only baller electric SUV by Tesla. Kind of like an escalade of EVs. But a brand new one is like $120k-140k direct on Tesla website. At that point, I think I rather get the Hummer EV if I had the budget of $120k-140k. I think that car is more unique for the price range since like everyone has a Model X. I also considered the Rivian SUV, it says like $72k new but I don't know if it's really going to be $72k out the door because Craigslist people are posting over $100k.

But I'm wondering if it's worth considering getting a used Model X for $50k-70k from around the 2017-2019 year instead of a new Model Y. I would like to know how much a used Model X with the refreshed interior (yoke steering wheel) would cost as well. Plus if I buy used, I can take it to places like Tahoe during a bad snowstorm and not worry about the possibly of dinging it up. Not that I'm going to try to crash, but I just don't want that stress of a brand new car going into a snow storm and getting dirty, but at the same time I wanna live my life and not worry about getting the car dirty. That is why I was considering a used Model X so I can have a more premium car for the same price as a Tesla Model Y. And have that freedom to take friends and not yell at them for getting the car dirty.

Also I believe the Model X is the only Tesla with self closing doors, which I would really like to have. Because over time not having to close doors, it's more time driving.

Buy what you can afford and what you're willing to drive. It's a car not an investment.You're not going to find a refresh X for under 100k.

IMO, the criteria you're using to determine whether or not to buy an X makes zero sense to me.
Refresh under $100k will be a strong possibility in the next couple of months if prices continue this trajectory. Seen them around $110k recently.

But yeah OP is all over the place and doesn’t make much sense.

Buy a lightly used y. Get an x later if you want.

Buy what you can afford and what you're willing to drive. It's a car not an investment.You're not going to find a refresh X for under 100k.

IMO, the criteria you're using to determine whether or not to buy an X makes zero sense to me.
This OP needs the space to carry around their bunnies and their stuffed animal winnings from carnival machines. Thats what they have said previously, anyway:

Hi so I like taking my bunnies everywhere and flexing them to everyone in public. From hot girls, little kids, moms, old moms, etc.

I took my 3 bunnies to a shopping center. I encountered a mom & 5 year old girl at Pieology and the little girl was really into the bunnies. So into them that she couldn't get her mom to leave, and her dad's pizza was getting cold (the dad was at home waiting). Then she had an idea, asked if I could bring my bunnies to her girl's birthday party, and she would pay me. We agreed to $50 for about 2 hours.

I have never been paid to bring my bunnies somewhere, but this will be my first paid gig with bunnies, which is kinda cool, since I take them out anyways.

I know how much space I need when I just take the bunnies, its mainly the carrier (with bunnies) and their stroller that take up the most space. But now I have to add a pet fence on top of that, with a folding wagon (to carry it). I def have to fold the seats down now. This gig is really gonna take up every bit of space in the trunk.

If there is a demand for a low cost petting zoo, would a Model X or Y make sense? It be cool to utilize the low cost of the Tesla to get around, not have to account for gas money. If I had to do this all the time, the Model 3 is kinda small and I barely have any room to haul gear for a birthday party.

I may have to expand operation if I want this petting zoo business idea to pay for a Model X. I probably could convince my parents to buy me a Model X or Y, they are the ones who bought my Model 3. Or expand on this petting zoo business and hope I can use the money it makes to buy another Tesla in the future. What do people in the event / party industry drive to haul their gear?

I need more room, this Model 3 isn't built for hauling many animals around. Kind of wish Tesla made vans for moving stuff. Tesla should develop a cargo van one day. That way it be easier to keep cost down on any occupation that requires hauling stuff, such as petting zoos. Makes me realize Tesla lacks to make vehicles for commercial use. The cybertruck is a step forward, but they're not like Ford that makes all kinds of trucks. Seems its only focused on passenger based customers, like families or someone who needs to get to work. They really should start making cars for occupations that require cargo space because they could benefit from the low cost of electricity and not have to consider gas as expenses.

But I'm wondering if it's worth considering getting a used Model X for $50k-70k from around the 2017-2019 year instead of a new Model Y.
for sure. def plenty of 2017s in that range, not sure about 2019 raven...
if u really want a cheapest option u can look into salvage ones, just make sure it had HV inspection done n SC restored

I would like to try out a used MYp of equal value to my X. It would likely come with full warranty that my MX does not have. There is something about the 6 seat X that just looks right. With the doors open. Get an X because want an X. Might as well spring for the performance model right? There is no comparable vehicle on the market now. Someone might throw out the Rivian but I just don’t buy that they will be around in 5-7 years. I’m happy to be wrong. Tesla needs some competition

I'm a bit confused... some random mom asked you to bring your bunnies to a party and now you want to start a business but you then need an expensive electric suv to start said business?

I know you said mommy and daddy are paying for the car but maybe either settle (most people would not consider a tesla settling) with your 3, or trade the 3 in for a cheap suv, put the difference into supplies and advertising for your new business. From the sounds of it, I don't think a tesla makes much sense. Focus on getting your new business flying, and when it's high enough that the price of a luxury suv is an afterthought then treat yourself as an reward for getting your business off the ground and to the point where you no longer worry about money.

If you are dead set on upgrading to an y or a pre refreshed x, I'd get the y. X is more luxury with the luxury need to be pampered by tesla service. I have a refresh x and y. X has been in and out of service because it needs to be spoiled. I love my x but it is not the tesla to buy if you are on a budget and while I think it's fine to daily as a second car, I would not use it for business. Especially as the sole business vehicle. I'd get something cheap, replacement parts a plenty and reliable.

Good luck with the new business!

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
I'm a bit confused... some random mom asked you to bring your bunnies to a party and now you want to start a business but you then need an expensive electric suv to start said business?

I know you said mommy and daddy are paying for the car but maybe either settle (most people would not consider a tesla settling) with your 3, or trade the 3 in for a cheap suv, put the difference into supplies and advertising for your new business. From the sounds of it, I don't think a tesla makes much sense. Focus on getting your new business flying, and when it's high enough that the price of a luxury suv is an afterthought then treat yourself as an reward for getting your business off the ground and to the point where you no longer worry about money.

If you are dead set on upgrading to an y or a pre refreshed x, I'd get the y. X is more luxury with the luxury need to be pampered by tesla service. I have a refresh x and y. X has been in and out of service because it needs to be spoiled. I love my x but it is not the tesla to buy if you are on a budget and while I think it's fine to daily as a second car, I would not use it for business. Especially as the sole business vehicle. I'd get something cheap, replacement parts a plenty and reliable.

Maybe his parents are trying to get that Section 179 deduction lol

Reactions: Misterbee

I had no idea the model x would constantly have to be serviced. That’s a huge turn off for me if it’s always breaking and being serviced. I probably just rather get the Y. The main reason I liked the model 3 is because I never had to do any major service in the past 4 years and it’s at 90k miles. All service was always covered by warranty and it was free.

My main thing now is being an arcade advantage player. Winning enough jackpots to win prizes less than retail.

And my Model 3 has helped me and my AP friends out so much to cheaply commute to many arcades so we can still profit with energy expenses. And my friend will help me win tickets in return for driving him around because my car is cheaper than gas. Autopilot helped to so I can commute longer without being tired.

I thought the model x would have been the perfect arcade commuter because we could fill it up with prizes. Especially the 2nd row with the 2 separate chairs I felt we could fit so much product there. That seating layout kind of gives it that van type cargo room if you run out of trunk space.

But I see many Model X for $60k is there a reason they are so cheap where it’s like get a new model Y or a used model x? Because of the expensive maintenance afterwards?

Last edited:
I had no idea the model x would constantly have to be serviced. That’s a huge turn off for me if it’s always breaking and being serviced. I probably just rather get the Y. The main reason I liked the model 3 is because I never had to do any major service in the past 4 years and it’s at 90k miles. All service was always covered by warranty and it was free...

That seating layout kind of gives it that van type cargo room if you run out of trunk space.

But I see many Model X for $60k is there a reason they are so cheap where it’s like get a new model Y or a used model x? Because of the expensive maintenance afterwards?
That's the thing about owning an expensive luxury car. When you (not you specifically, the general new theoretical luxury car buyer) don't own one, you just think about all the neat new features. The self opening doors, falcon wings, air suspension, etc. You think about your more affordable car, which has lasted 5+ years with less features, or features which have been refined over 10+ years. Then you come across some money and decide to get a luxury car. Yeah it's a bit tight, but your old car was so reliable so this should be fine. Then you bring it home and it has more problems than the cheaper car due to all the additional parts and the new features which aren't on other cars yet needing expensive maintenance frequently not to mention the higher repair costs in general because of the luxury tax. For instance, model x tires are staggered, which means you can't rotate the tires. Which means the wheels wear down faster and are more expensive to replace.

A lot of first time 6 figure luxury car buyers get burned from these hidden costs of living with said luxury car and that's why see phrases like 'more moving parts means more that will break' or 'luxury tax.' Also why you generally shouldn't stretch to buy a luxury car, buy one if you can burn the money.

If you are buying a used x, you really really need to do your research. There are real lemon years and variants for the x where the metal rods for opening the doors would break, or the spine holding the falcon doors would snap (very expensive repair), or problems with half shafts shuddering which seems to be a universal x problem. Not to mention some parts just have a general rep amongst luxury car owners for wearing down faster like air suspension.

Here's an owner who went your route and bought a old x Then quickly sold it to get a y:

As for space, don't be fooled. It's not all that more than a y. The x and y are about the same size and if you get the 6 seat configuration, remember the middle row doesn't fold down, meaning you lose some cargo room. Imo, the back 4 seats of the 6 seat configuration is only really comfortable for teens and younger anyways.

Last thing I'll say is don't be hoodwinked by the used price. You can get a lot of luxury cars used for cheap. Like a 200k land rover for 60k or a 10 yo rolls royce for similar. You'll end up spending the cost of the used car on maintenance.

Oh and my y which I have owned longer has needed zero maintenance. My brand new refresh x has been in the shop every month. It's fine, just more things that can creak in the x and the falcon doors need more love. Very much love my x but it is something that needs to be pampered. Unlike my y which is a work horse (not literally for work, but totally could be with how well it's hold up).

My 2018 MX100D is about 10% degraded. So if you figure the same for a 2017 then 75kw - 10% = 67.5kw.
at 340wh/mile = 198.5 miles around town/combined
at 370wh/mile = 182.4 miles at 75-80 mph on highway

but figure you aren't going from 100% to 0% with each drive, more like charging to 90 and down to 10% before charging, look at real world to be 80% of that or 158.8 around town and 145.9 highway. I typically go 110-140 miles per leg on the highway, so you should be good unless you are wanting more highway range.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
My 2018 MX100D is about 10% degraded. So if you figure the same for a 2017 then 75kw - 10% = 67.5kw.
at 340wh/mile = 198.5 miles around town/combined
at 370wh/mile = 182.4 miles at 75-80 mph on highway

but figure you aren't going from 100% to 0% with each drive, more like charging to 90 and down to 10% before charging, look at real world to be 80% of that or 158.8 around town and 145.9 highway. I typically go 110-140 miles per leg on the highway, so you should be good unless you are wanting more highway range.

Funny That's exactly what I get with my SR 3 @100% ~195 miles. Except it's more efficient apparently. Will drive slower with X on hwy with family loaded.

I do go to 100% often with Sr 3 since it's software top lock, wonder if any similar quirks with 75D?

That's the thing about owning an expensive luxury car. When you (not you specifically, the general new theoretical luxury car buyer) don't own one, you just think about all the neat new features. The self opening doors, falcon wings, air suspension, etc. You think about your more affordable car, which has lasted 5+ years with less features, or features which have been refined over 10+ years. Then you come across some money and decide to get a luxury car. Yeah it's a bit tight, but your old car was so reliable so this should be fine. Then you bring it home and it has more problems than the cheaper car due to all the additional parts and the new features which aren't on other cars yet needing expensive maintenance frequently not to mention the higher repair costs in general because of the luxury tax. For instance, model x tires are staggered, which means you can't rotate the tires. Which means the wheels wear down faster and are more expensive to replace.

A lot of first time 6 figure luxury car buyers get burned from these hidden costs of living with said luxury car and that's why see phrases like 'more moving parts means more that will break' or 'luxury tax.' Also why you generally shouldn't stretch to buy a luxury car, buy one if you can burn the money.

If you are buying a used x, you really really need to do your research. There are real lemon years and variants for the x where the metal rods for opening the doors would break, or the spine holding the falcon doors would snap (very expensive repair), or problems with half shafts shuddering which seems to be a universal x problem. Not to mention some parts just have a general rep amongst luxury car owners for wearing down faster like air suspension.

Here's an owner who went your route and bought a old x Then quickly sold it to get a y:

Good video but wasn't this a unique'16 X. A lot of V1.0 issues? Will a '17 X have bugs fixed? esp w/ MCU2+AP2.5? Also they paid close to $75K Ouch. I'm paying half that that and will budget in 3rd party warranty when CPO warranty expires next year.

Also TSLA's mobile ranger program can fix doors right?

I might trade in my 3 that will be out of warranty for the Y if tax credit stays good after 3/31

Good video but wasn't this a unique'16 X. A lot of V1.0 issues? Will a '17 X have bugs fixed? esp w/ MCU2+AP2.5? Also they paid close to $75K Ouch. I'm paying half that that and will budget in 3rd party warranty when CPO warranty expires next year.

Also TSLA's mobile ranger program can fix doors right?

I might trade in my 3 that will be out of warranty for the Y if tax credit stays good after 3/31
Yup, it's an older X, I think one of the first which, iirc, was show car for a RICE (race inspired cosmetic enhancement) company. So, very few miles despite it's age. I'm not sure how much better problem wise a 2017 will be compared to a 2016. Different X model years have different problems, the earlier models have a lot of issues with the falcon wing doors, later models... I think up to either the raven or refresh, had problems with the auto opening front doors bar breaking and poking through the front area, and, like I mentioned, half shafts are just an internal struggle with any model year of this car. So much so that they just lowered the refreshes relative to the pre-refresh to minimize wear on these parts.

You really have to do your research on the Model year you are buying used, see what owners have said. For reference, I have a 2022 refreshed model x and it's about to go back to the shop for more work (a piece of plastic trim on the inside was installed incorrectly, a new thing in creaking, and the little glass long rectangular spine between the trunk glass and the falcon wing door glass has shattered because of a manufacturing defect). Like this is a brand new luxury car which I've owned for about 6ish or more months and it's constantly having problems. Judging from the model x forums, I'm not the only refreshed owner in this camp. So if the refresh is so shaky, I wouldn't trust a legacy x to have all the kinks worked out either. But that may be okay, just research what the common issues are for your model year and the price of repairs. It may be acceptable for you especially if you are buying it for 30kish.

As for mobile service, no idea. I live outside of their area of influence so they've never come to me.

I still really like my X, but I went into it knowing owning one would be a bit like owning a plane. Drivers may drive their x, but the service center owns it. (variation of the phrase pilots fly the plane, but maintenance owns it. Talking of how maintenance crews spend more time with a plane than the actual pilot who flys the plane) It's going to live in and out of the shop while I own it. I'm not thrilled with it. But I'm not any less thrilled than I was before I bought the car. If I hadn't done my research and knowingly inflected this pain on myself because I liked other features of the car so much, I'd probably be feeling a little angry right now. Especially if I stretched to buy it.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Definitely not scretching at half off MSRP. But if I have to take it in a lot for service vs ranger (i'm in ranger service area, but some things can't be).

I do try to get loaners which has been hit/miss with TSLA in the past, not sure recent experience in Glendale AZ?

Same 3 row dilemma but To make matters more interesting I have a used '17 X 75D order thru TSLA direct @ $47K delivered. Includes 1 yr/ 10K warranty

I'd like to check range @ 100% but they're refusing. 2017 Tesla MX 75D in Rockville MD US listed at Sold What miles # would trigger replacement?
are you road tripping this car?? If it’s a daily driver that really won’t see road trips I’d be ok with less range.
Definitely not scretching at half off MSRP. But if I have to take it in a lot for service vs ranger (i'm in ranger service area, but some things can't be).

I do try to get loaners which has been hit/miss with TSLA in the past, not sure recent experience in Glendale AZ?
Mobile service could not perform any of my last repairs. An out of warranty vehicle is unlikely to get a loaner. A mobile tech really messed up my camera replacement.