Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying from Inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an order in (see signature for details) and I've twice seen similar cars pop up as "New Inventory". I am going to Lease. What happens if I click "buy" on the car in inventory? Do I have to apply for the lease again and cancel the original order or can they both be combined somehow?

I called my SA to ask and it was super unclear even to him.... any help will be much appreciaed

Not sure what would happen with your lease if they could transfer it. I do know if the car is not an exact match then your more than likely will have to put $100 more down. In addition, if you grab one of those other cars that is not an exact match you more than likely will have to pay the going rate for the vehicle. Lot's of variables but work with your SA they can help.

For example I found a car with FSD and did not want it they were able to remove it. Which kept me within my budget. I can always add it later just was not ready to pay for it today.

Not sure what would happen with your lease if they could transfer it. I do know if the car is not an exact match then your more than likely will have to put $100 more down. In addition, if you grab one of those other cars that is not an exact match you more than likely will have to pay the going rate for the vehicle. Lot's of variables but work with your SA they can help.

For example I found a car with FSD and did not want it they were able to remove it. Which kept me within my budget. I can always add it later just was not ready to pay for it today.
So, I just found a car in inventory and bought it. I can share my experience.

1. I paid the $100 and secured it. Called my SA immediately. He wasn't working so I called the store and spoke with somebody else
  2. The person I spoke to told me the SA could've done this for free, but agreed with me that by the time I got him on the phone the car would've been gone, I am now feeling good about the extra $100
  3. I am leasing, so she put me in touch with the credit department, who moved the lease approval from the old order to this one
  4. I canceled the old order
  5. I HAVE A VIN!
As a bonus, the car I found has 20" rims and the tow hitch, which I didn't want to pay for but wanted to have.... And though my payment went up... I am happy anyway because I did want the features. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: swheat6345
So, I just found a car in inventory and bought it. I can share my experience.

1. I paid the $100 and secured it. Called my SA immediately. He wasn't working so I called the store and spoke with somebody else
  2. The person I spoke to told me the SA could've done this for free, but agreed with me that by the time I got him on the phone the car would've been gone, I am now feeling good about the extra $100
  3. I am leasing, so she put me in touch with the credit department, who moved the lease approval from the old order to this one
  4. I canceled the old order
  5. I HAVE A VIN!
As a bonus, the car I found has 20" rims and the tow hitch, which I didn't want to pay for but wanted to have.... And though my payment went up... I am happy anyway because I did want the features. :)
Glad you are happy!!!!!

Reactions: LionCheeser
Was it in local inventory or somewhere else in the country? If it was across the country, be prepared for some delivery issues (potentially, it won't be delivered).
I am in LA and this car was in SD. I didn't even have to pay a transfer fee. I hope delivery will be smooth. For new cars, I could not search over the 200 mile range so I suspect that I wouldn't have seen cars across the country

When did you get it? Curious to see how long it took.

PS: Kinda funny what happened, almost like we could switch cars and both would be better off :D :D :D
Yesterday...but it is a 7 seater. They told me one to two weeks to get it down to Carlsbad SC but today they texted me saying it was on it's way down. So, if it does arrive today or tomorrow then I will tell you. Depending on when it get's here they will setup delivery to me for Monday or Tuesday.

Reactions: LionCheeser
I just had this happen to me as well. I ordered custom on 4/22. Basically always had a 5-9 weeks from order estimate instead of an actual date range. Continued checking existing inventory everyday and stumbled across one yesterday that was my exact order with a white interior instead of black. I kind of wanted white anyway so I immediately called the SA and he secured the vehicle for me. I didn't lose the $100 and he just transferred the order. I am located in NJ and the vehicle is in Long Island, NY. They are sending it down and I pick it up Saturday! Super excited!

I just had this happen to me as well. I ordered custom on 4/22. Basically always had a 5-9 weeks from order estimate instead of an actual date range. Continued checking existing inventory everyday and stumbled across one yesterday that was my exact order with a white interior instead of black. I kind of wanted white anyway so I immediately called the SA and he secured the vehicle for me. I didn't lose the $100 and he just transferred the order. I am located in NJ and the vehicle is in Long Island, NY. They are sending it down and I pick it up Saturday! Super excited!
A good SA can save us some money some times.

Yesterday...but it is a 7 seater. They told me one to two weeks to get it down to Carlsbad SC but today they texted me saying it was on it's way down. So, if it does arrive today or tomorrow then I will tell you. Depending on when it get's here they will setup delivery to me for Monday or Tuesday.
@swheat6345 I literally just got the text that it is on its way. I am picking up a week from Saturday. Buying the inventory car looks like the best decision I ever made