Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Guide for Newbies?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to the Tesla world. But after a ride in a Model 3 this weekend, I'm hooked, especially on the autopilot.

Trouble is, I don't know where to start understanding modes, years, features, used values, etc. I'm thinking used, possibly a Model S, but not sure. If I buy used, I want to make sure I can use all future Autopilot upgrades.

Question: Other forums like this tend to have a guide that highlights what changed with each model year. Is there something like that here (link?) to get me started?

Thanks.

I'm new to the Tesla world. But after a ride in a Model 3 this weekend, I'm hooked, especially on the autopilot.

Trouble is, I don't know where to start understanding modes, years, features, used values, etc. I'm thinking used, possibly a Model S, but not sure. If I buy used, I want to make sure I can use all future Autopilot upgrades.

Question: Other forums like this tend to have a guide that highlights what changed with each model year. Is there something like that here (link?) to get me started?

Thanks.

I've had to do a fair amount of research to evaluate used Model S vehicles. This page lists the changes up to 2017: Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

A link for general changes up to 2019:
Every major change Tesla has made to the Model S throughout the years

If you want to see what prices have been going for, you can use the ev-cpo.com website which tracks the prices from Tesla's used program. You can turn on the "archived" listings and sort by price and options to see what prices vehicles have been selling for. It has been very helpful.

I've had to do a fair amount of research to evaluate used Model S vehicles. This page lists the changes up to 2017: Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

A link for general changes up to 2019:
Every major change Tesla has made to the Model S throughout the years

If you want to see what prices have been going for, you can use the ev-cpo.com website which tracks the prices from Tesla's used program. You can turn on the "archived" listings and sort by price and options to see what prices vehicles have been selling for. It has been very helpful.

Yes, I used it as well and it was very helpful with my decision to buy now. After looking at prices and prior sales, it was very clear that this might be the best time to purchase a cpo P100D considering now the P100D Model S/X come with free supercharging. When I started looking a few months ago, I don't recall seeing any cars in used inventory with free supercharging.

Reactions: SilverGS
Yes, I used it as well and it was very helpful with my decision to buy now. After looking at prices and prior sales, it was very clear that this might be the best time to purchase a cpo P100D considering now the P100D Model S/X come with free supercharging. When I started looking a few months ago, I don't recall seeing any cars in used inventory with free supercharging.
Did you order one yet?