Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am buying a used Model S, and am flying to Chicago from central Ohio to pick it up and drive it home. I am worried about having Supercharger access on the way home. Can I expect to be able to just charge it until I get an account set up? Or, do I have to set up something with Tesla ahead of time? Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes, accurate. You need to talk to the sales advisor that is working with you in Chicago.

There is simply not enough information for the different circumstances for anyone here to answer your question about Supercharging.

ucmndd, that's a good idea.

BlackBeltDaddy, you should go ahead and create a Tesla login account. Have it done. Take a copy of your insurance card with you (for that car), then, If you take those documents and your driver's license, and proof of purchase of the car, when you go to the Tesla store or Service Center, in this case they might expedite getting your car added to your account. Once in your account, you will either get Free Supercharging or even if you have to pay for the Supercharging, you have a way for them to charge your account and CC.

You should check the car to insure the Mobile Connector kit is there. You need it for charging at most places. And hope it contains the J1882 adapter. You can use the J1772 adapter to charge at public charging stations on the way home. If it does not contain a J1772, you can usually get one at a Tesla Service Center.

Download Plugshare to a smartphone It will help you find public chargers on your way home.

2014 P85D
How much are you paying for that P85D? What do you like about it?
2016 Model S | Tesla . If you buy that one, you get autopilot and warranty, but no free supercharging.
P85D has been made somewhat obsolete by M3P. Only makes sense if you like a big car. M3P has better performance, longer range, faster charging, AP3 and track mode. Sleeper version is available for $50K.

Last edited:
This forum enjoys gloom and doom. Not all 85kwh packs have been capped, but it is an important thing to check.

As for the model 3 performance comparison, there is more to these cars than what their 0-60 time is. I had my own reasons for buying a P85D that the 3 did not have. That said, the P85D is still no slug, and also does the 1/4 in the mid 11s.

Thanks to all of your input. Flew up to Chicago on Thursday, signed the papers and drove the car home. What an awesome way to get to know my car better! Fortunately, there was a Tesla dealership almost across the street from the Porsche dealership that I purchased it at. I drove across plugged it in, to see if it would charge. It did with no problems. Service line was pretty backed up, so I just headed on home. Use the navigation for supercharger stops. Got home without a hitch. What an awesome car. For me, the Model S made more sense than the M3. It is bigger, without the need for buying an SUV.