Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying my 1st Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I going to take the plunge and join the Tesla family in the next month or so. I want to make sure I get the car I want and that's where I need some help. I am looking for an AWD (I drive a RWD now). I am looking used and have read CPO vs Dealer/Private. I agree CPO is the preferred method. Here's what I am looking at 2014 - 2016:
  • 60D would upgrade to 75D and uncork (would have to be eligible for me to buy this option)
  • 70D upgrade to 75D and uncork it (would have to be eligible for me to buy this option)
  • 75D uncork it or already uncorked
  • 85D (I am under the impression all 85Ds now go 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and not 5.4)
  • P85D
As I understand it stay away from all 90 models as the battery versions all have issues with the new tech used.

Things I Need it have in order to buy:
  • AutoPilot
  • Supercharging (I believe the 60D is was an option?)
  • Glass Pano or Sunroof
This I want:
  • Air Suspension (GPS remembering)
  • UHFS (nice to have)
  1. What am I missing that I should be looking for in options?
  2. What should I be checking the car for to make sure I don't get a lemon if I don't buy CPO?
  3. What models do you guys like (minus the P85D)? The 75D says it has 259 mile range and the 85D 270 miles and 0-60 times are both ~4 seconds...price will be the deciding factor I guess.
  4. Last is the new Fascia update worth it?

I see a lot of good deals for non CPO and I understand the risk, but I know my CU will sell me an extended warranty.

Can you elaborate on your claim about 90 models? Asking since I've been looking at some and I didn't know they have issues.

V1 P90 batteries had degradation issues that u can read about in forums here ..

OP I would stay away from the smaller batteries 60-70 and look for an 85D or if your price point permits a P85D ...Tesla changed package names throughout the years but in cars u are looking at look for AP1 to be activated ..on the 85s good chance u will keep free supercharging ..on later 75Ds (built after ~2/17) I believe free SC won’t carry over ..

V1 P90 batteries had degradation issues that u can read about in forums here ..

OP I would stay away from the smaller batteries 60-70 and look for an 85D or if your price point permits a P85D ...Tesla changed package names throughout the years but in cars u are looking at look for AP1 to be activated ..on the 85s good chance u will keep free supercharging ..on later 75Ds (built after ~2/17) I believe free SC won’t carry over ..

Good to know. You mention P models only? I am looking at 90D models for the most part so hopefully that's safer. Will research!

Good to know. You mention P models only? I am looking at 90D models for the most part so hopefully that's safer. Will research!
The P90 batteries had some issues with throttling of SC speed and not being able to produce max power for Ludicrous. Launches with exception of V3 ..I personally have only owned 85 and 100 so above is based off what I read here ;):eek:

Reactions: darxsys
Hi Jomak, good to hear another person wanting to join the community. My thoughts/opinions....

90 battery concerns aside, get the biggest battery you can. If you need roof racks don’t forget you must have a sunroof. Also you seem set on a D but don’t forget you sacrifice frunk space. Not a biggie but worth to know.

Air Suspension and UHFS are very desirable as you mention. Next Gen seats are nice to have. Double chargers are nice to have.

There is a thread here somewhere that carefully details all the changes over time. I can find the link if you like, or just goggle it. There were many small changes over time you may or may not be aware of. E.g the driver display (binacle) got a nice upgrade at some point that’s maybe nice to have.

If you go CPO look carefully which warranty you get. If things have not changed, some get 2 years and some get 4 years. And if you are not aware of it, take a look at EV-CPO it’s an excellent resource

All good advice. The 400v models (85, 90, 100) have faster supercharging as well as higher performance (max power setting). But the 85 and 75 range should be comparable. The "double charger" is the older term. In newer cars itiis called the 72A (amp) option.

There are two very different autopilot systems. AP1 is no longer being updated.

Some cars have transferrable unlimited free supercharging, but not from Jan 2017 ish on.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2012MS85
Double chargers are nice to have.

There is a thread here somewhere that carefully details all the changes over time. I can find the link if you like, or just goggle it.

Thanks for the info! If you know where this thread is that would be great...I am looking, but that is something I have been looking for. I have a 30Amp charger at home.

All good advice. There are two very different autopilot systems. AP1 is no longer being updated.
Does that mean stay away from AP1? OR AP1 is what it is and will never be more than what you have?

I feel like I’d want free supercharging over AP2. Supercharging is $0.25 per kWh in WA. For someone that drives a lot to Canada and back( 20k miles a year), that really doesn’t sound like a great deal...

Depends on your needs, of course.

Reactions: P85_DA
Is the P85+ worth a look or is the P85D better?

The P85+ is a good starter car if you don't need AP or dual motors.. but the price difference these days isn't so great, so I'd suggest just going for the P85D and get lots of extra stuff like the next-gen seats, AP, dual motors, etc.

Also, many people use the 'dark' theme here to read TMC, and your purple text color is pretty much unreadable... you might want to consider changing it or not using any colors.

upload_2018-12-29_17-35-23.png

Definitely the latter, but I think the former as well. AP1 owners have been known to argue this, but ideally I would get an AP2 unlimited supercharging car. I think Tesla's ongoing investments in AP will mostly trickle down to AP2.0 cars.

I have AP1 and I notice improvements.

Do you have AP1?

On highways if I have AP set to 75mph it will gradually lower my speed to 70 when going on connector ramps then as I'm exiting it, it gradually increases to 75 again. It used to not do that. The TACC set speed indicator on the IC never changed from 75.

Accelerating and braking in stop and go traffic is smoother and more gradual too.

Last edited:
As I understand it stay away from all 90 models as the battery versions all have issues with the new tech used.

Things I Need it have in order to buy:
  • AutoPilot
  • Supercharging (I believe the 60D is was an option?)
  • Glass Pano or Sunroof
This I want:
  • Air Suspension (GPS remembering)
  • UHFS (nice to have)
  1. What am I missing that I should be looking for in options?
  2. What should I be checking the car for to make sure I don't get a lemon if I don't buy CPO?
  3. What models do you guys like (minus the P85D)? The 75D says it has 259 mile range and the 85D 270 miles and 0-60 times are both ~4 seconds...price will be the deciding factor I guess.
  4. Last is the new Fascia update worth it?
I see a lot of good deals for non CPO and I understand the risk, but I know my CU will sell me an extended warranty.
While earlier versions of the 90 had problems with degradation, later versions do not. My S 90D (which I'll be selling soon) only has about 2.5% degradation after over 2 years of driving.

Personally, I wouldn't get anything without AP if you take road trips. If you don't do road trips, at least look for a car with TACC. I would only get a car with AP 2 or newer. We had an AP1 car but immediately changed to an AP2 when it came out. While it took a while to get a lot of the AP features enabled (and we are still waiting on other functionality), they are finally arriving and AP2+ hardware has the ability to receive new functionality. AP 1 cars will never have the same AP functionality available to AP2+ cars.

As for the "new fascia" being worth it or not, it's up to you. I purposely held off on ordering my Model S until we knew about the "facelift" back in 2016. Some people love the old front end. Others hate it.

If buying a used car from a non-dealer, you can still buy an extended service agreement directly from Tesla that is good for 2 or 4 years, assuming the original factory warranty hasn't expired yet.

Also, only cars ordered before 1/15/17 will have free Supercharging that will transfer to the new owner.

IMO, I would get a late 2016 AP2 S 90D with free Supercharging. Oh wait...I did! ;)