Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I know if my car has autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently got a used 2016 MX 75D, one thing I want to know is what type of autopilot or cruise control system it has, the info screen says autopilot 1.0 (I don't have side cameras) but does that mean I have Autosteer? Looking into the autopilot section in the MCU it only has options for emergency braking and lane assist, and I don't see a steering wheel icon, just a speed max symbol. If this means I don't have autopilot. Is it just basic radar cruise control? Sorry for all the questions but this is confusing me a lot.

Recently got a used 2016 MX 75D, one thing I want to know is what type of autopilot or cruise control system it has, the info screen says autopilot 1.0 (I don't have side cameras) but does that mean I have Autosteer? Looking into the autopilot section in the MCU it only has options for emergency braking and lane assist, and I don't see a steering wheel icon, just a speed max symbol. If this means I don't have autopilot. Is it just basic radar cruise control? Sorry for all the questions but this is confusing me a lot.
See. A lot of explanations, tables, and charts to show you the variations and what they do.
Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap

• Informative
Reactions: bmah and KerryOH
What does it say under software screen?
Pic would be better

If AP1 is activated, should say "highway autopilot" included package
It sounds like yours is not active
There are few cars out there that don't have it enabled...

Does anything show up in the upgrades menu either in the car or in the app? If not, I would put in a service request inquiring about the price to activate.

Some persistence might be required. It's been awhile since the AP1 days, so some service centers might not know how to answer this inquiry. However I remember reading from other people's reports that the actual upgrade (once arranged and paid for) is either instantaneous or it takes place after a reboot, no physical service visit was needed.

Bruce.

Reactions: Bigriver
I think it's just a gateway config change
Tesla might charge arm n leg to do it, if at all..
U can DM LayZ, he'll activate it for u
The ey ant $3000 to give you basic autopilot. Just had a fiasco with Tesla saying they needed to upgrade computer from 2.0 to 3.0 for $1000 then my basic would work. After they did the work then nothing changed. They found out that it’s $3000 for autopilot and didn’t even need to hange from 2.0 to 3.0 unless I wanted fsd.
They are taking the 3.0 computer out and told me to come get my car and there’s nothing they can do unless I pay $3000. It’s a joke. One had isn’t talking to the other. I have a 2017 X

Who is LayZ? Can he activate autopilot for me? I have no icons.
He's a member here n the only one i know that can do lots of things remotely, esp on MCU1
U need about 10 posts to have DM option, or try tagging him here, he might see it.

The ey ant $3000 to give you basic autopilot. Just had a fiasco with Tesla saying they needed to upgrade computer from 2.0 to 3.0 for $1000 then my basic would work. After they did the work then nothing changed. They found out that it’s $3000 for autopilot and didn’t even need to hange from 2.0 to 3.0 unless I wanted fsd.
They are taking the 3.0 computer out and told me to come get my car and there’s nothing they can do unless I pay $3000. It’s a joke. One had isn’t talking to the other. I have a 2017 X
$3k sounds about right for tesla, i recall someone posted same in another thread
also, correct AP1 cannot be upgraded to anything, not sure what tesla was thinking...
but 2017 Cannot be AP1, it was discontinued on Oct 2016...

He's a member here n the only one i know that can do lots of things remotely, esp on MCU1
U need about 10 posts to have DM option, or try tagging him here, he might see it.

$3k sounds about right for tesla, i recall someone posted same in another thread
also, correct AP1 cannot be upgraded to anything, not sure what tesla was thinking...
but 2017 Cannot be AP1, it was discontinued on Oct 2016...
IMG_0461.png

This telling me after I pay the $1000 to update my hardware from 2.0 to 3.0

@Rob T it is unfortunate that the people you are interfacing with at the service center are not particularly knowledgable about autopilot options for older cars. It isn’t really that complicated. Your 2017 model X has all the hardware needed for basic autopilot, which is the software what new cars now come with in the base configuration. The price for that is $3000. That was the price in early 2019 when Tesla redefined autopilot packages. I was a bit disappointed that they haven’t lowered the price, but it is what it is.

If you want Enhanced Autopilot, your car again has all the needed hardware. That price for new car owners is $6000. I would hope it would be cheaper for cars that had to pay the $3000 for autopilot, but I do not know. The message from Tesla service says this option will appear in your upgrades menu after/if you get basic autopilot.

If you want Full Self Driving, your car needs hardware upgrades. It needs the FSD computer and if it was manufactured before August 2017 (AP2.0) it also needs side camera upgrades. Cars after August 2017 are AP2.5 and do not need any camera changes but still needs the computer upgrade. If you purchase FSD, these hardware upgrades are done for “free,” as they are part of the cost of FSD. FSD currently costs $12,000 for new car owners. For you that would likely be $12k on top of the $3k for basic.

The $1000 FSD computer upgrade is an option for the older cars such as yours that would like to subscribe to FSD for $200/month. You pay for the hardware then can have month to month subscription with no commitment. I am sure of this for AP2.5 cars. I do not know if there is a separate camera upgrade price for AP2.0 cars.

One further item, which I will concede is indeed a complication, is that 2017 model X’s came with MCU1. There is an option to pay for an infotainment upgrade to MCU2 for about $2500 (last I checked). Tesla has not said that MCU2 is required for FSD, but very few MCU1 cars have reported getting FSD, even if they purchased it and have the other hardware upgrades.

You haven’t indicated you are interested in anything beyond the basic autopilot, but I thought I would lay out the whole picture to perhaps put into context the hardware and various dollar amounts that have come up.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
@Rob T it is unfortunate that the people you are interfacing with at the service center are not particularly knowledgable about autopilot options for older cars. It isn’t really that complicated. Your 2017 model X has all the hardware needed for basic autopilot, which is the software what new cars now come with in the base configuration. The price for that is $3000. That was the price in early 2019 when Tesla redefined autopilot packages. I was a bit disappointed that they haven’t lowered the price, but it is what it is.

If you want Enhanced Autopilot, your car again has all the needed hardware. That price for new car owners is $6000. I would hope it would be cheaper for cars that had to pay the $3000 for autopilot, but I do not know. The message from Tesla service says this option will appear in your upgrades menu after/if you get basic autopilot.

If you want Full Self Driving, your car needs hardware upgrades. It needs the FSD computer and if it was manufactured before August 2017 (AP2.0) it also needs side camera upgrades. Cars after August 2017 are AP2.5 and do not need any camera changes but still needs the computer upgrade. If you purchase FSD, these hardware upgrades are done for “free,” as they are part of the cost of FSD. FSD currently costs $12,000 for new car owners. For you that would likely be $12k on top of the $3k for basic.

The $1000 FSD computer upgrade is an option for the older cars such as yours that would like to subscribe to FSD for $200/month. You pay for the hardware then can have month to month subscription with no commitment. I am sure of this for AP2.5 cars. I do not know if there is a separate camera upgrade price for AP2.0 cars.

One further item, which I will concede is indeed a complication, is that 2017 model X’s came with MCU1. There is an option to pay for an infotainment upgrade to MCU2 for about $2500 (last I checked). Tesla has not said that MCU2 is required for FSD, but very few MCU1 cars have reported getting FSD, even if they purchased it and have the other hardware upgrades.

You haven’t indicated you are interested in anything beyond the basic autopilot, but I thought I would lay out the whole picture to perhaps put into context the hardware and various dollar amounts that have come up.
I wish I would have seen your post prior to the nightmare. I just went through. It took me about six days and back-and-forth with Tesla to realize this once they wanted me to pick it up. I appreciate all of the time you spent doing this post and it totally makes sense now I just may forward this to the Tesla virtual service team and the service department for Tesla that I dealt with because apparently they need a little more training and I do understand that it’s very rare that these cars come up, but the virtual team should’ve known this without telling me that I need to upgrade to some 3.0 computer and it would give me basic auto pilot all they had to do is tell me hey you don’t need to update anything just pay $3000 for the auto pilot and everything would’ve been fine. Now they’ve ripped into my car twice and they still have it putting a 3.0 computer and then taking it out so hopefully it didn’t screw something up. All they had to do is make it right and they screwed up and said yeah we screwed up. I’ll give you the auto pilot for 1500 bucks and we’ll take out our hardware but nope they’re like well, you don’t need the hardware will remove it and we won’t even charge you to remove. It made me feel like they did me a favor and you’re gonna have to pay $3000 or come get your car.
It really put a sour taste in my mouth about the company and almost scares me that they are not doing the proper training for their service writers, and even their virtual service team apparently.

Reactions: Bigriver
I wish I would have seen your post prior to the nightmare. I just went through. It took me about six days and back-and-forth with Tesla to realize this once they wanted me to pick it up. I appreciate all of the time you spent doing this post and it totally makes sense now I just may forward this to the Tesla virtual service team and the service department for Tesla that I dealt with because apparently they need a little more training and I do understand that it’s very rare that these cars come up, but the virtual team should’ve known this without telling me that I need to upgrade to some 3.0 computer and it would give me basic auto pilot all they had to do is tell me hey you don’t need to update anything just pay $3000 for the auto pilot and everything would’ve been fine. Now they’ve ripped into my car twice and they still have it putting a 3.0 computer and then taking it out so hopefully it didn’t screw something up. All they had to do is make it right and they screwed up and said yeah we screwed up. I’ll give you the auto pilot for 1500 bucks and we’ll take out our hardware but nope they’re like well, you don’t need the hardware will remove it and we won’t even charge you to remove. It made me feel like they did me a favor and you’re gonna have to pay $3000 or come get your car.
It really put a sour taste in my mouth about the company and almost scares me that they are not doing the proper training for their service writers, and even their virtual service team apparently.
Sorry, I hope that all made sense. I was doing text to talk and I read it after I posted it.

Sorry, I hope that all made sense. I was doing text to talk and I read it after I posted it.
I could post all of the Tesla texts, but I don’t want to throw anybody under the bus. I just wanted to find out if anybody else has had the same problems and maybe if they have or if anybody in the future needs to know what’s going on they don’t have to go through the same BS that I went through.

Reactions: scgaskill
I could post all of the Tesla texts, but I don’t want to throw anybody under the bus. I just wanted to find out if anybody else has had the same problems and maybe if they have or if anybody in the future needs to know what’s going on they don’t have to go through the same BS that I went through.
Thanks, I bought a 2014 MS60 about 4 months ago and just today tried to use AP for the first time today and it didn't work, so now laying in bed doing research and ran across this post. My care is a "bare bones" base model with nothing optional licensed, no SuperCharging, no Navigation, no Tech Package... Nada. So it doesn't really surprise me now to find out that, even though the car has the hardware, it's not licensed to use it. I'm definitely not spending $3K to enable it.

I too have had poor service from my SC. They don't seem to know much about the older models, especially ones like mine that didn't automatically come with everything already licensed. I'm new to Tesla's and didn't spend tons of time learning every Tesla feature and whether or not the car was licensed for it, before I bought the car. I didn't realize how ala carte they were!
Here are a few examples:

- My car is not licensed for SuperCharging. A couple of times when I was at the SC for other things I asked about it and was told it would be $2500 to enable it. I wasn't sure I needed it so held off. Now they're saying, oops, not $2500, actually it's $12,000!!! But it includes lifetime free supercharging! For $12K they should install a SuperCharger at my house!

- Not wanting to spend $2500 for SuC, I saw the CCS retrofit kit for $450, a much better price. The Tesla website said to login to my account to confirm compatibility. I did, and it said that it just needed the retrofit kit (the adapter itself is $250). I bought it, the SC installed and enabled it, and guess what? It didn't work. They said that, oops, SuC needs to be enabled first, the CCS is in addition to it. That's when they told me about it being $12.5k instead of $2.5K!!!!! Oh well, what's another $10K, right?

- when they de-installed the retrofit kit and gave me a refund, they triggered some alerts. They wanted to charge me $2900 to replace my onboard charger and $850 to replace the battery heater pump. The alerts happened LITTERALLY 2 minutes after I gave the mobile tech the keys to de-install the retrofit kit (it's on my Ring security cam video), what a coinky-dink, ya think? I was certain the alerts were false alarms so I didn't have them replace either, and I've charged and preconditioned my battery several times in the past month with no additional alerts. The weather has dropped a bunch during that time too, in the -15 degree range a week or so ago, so I know the battery heater pump is working!

- One of the service managers actually told me that the CCS kit failure was my fault for not doing enough research on it and for getting info from forums like this! WTF!!!! Maybe they should have confirmed if my car was compatible before they wasted my time and their mobile techs time installing and de-installing it, ya think?!?!?! They know everything about my car, it's hardware and software - aren't they a tech company?
And it may be a case that they're wrong and just didn't make the right settings in the firmware! I'm hoping that's the case.

- Yesterday I went to a different SC to get a second opinion on the costs and requirements for SuC & CCS DC Fast Charging because I have very little confidence in my local SC.

I guess they feel that we have no other viable choice for service so they don't have to give good service. Where else are we going to go, what other shops service Tesla's?

ones like mine that didn't automatically come with everything already licensed. I'm new to Tesla's and didn't spend tons of time learning every Tesla feature and whether or not the car was licensed for it, before I bought the car. I didn't realize how ala carte they were!
Sorry to hear of your situation. Yeah, in 2014 everything was still very alacarte. There were hundreds of permutations on what hardware was included in the car configuration. Over the years Tesla gradually rolled more into the base package. Towards the end of 2018 the base model started including everything, pretty much leaving colors and wheels (and seat configuration for MX) as the main options. As it is today. But anyone shopping for used Teslas from before 2018 should look carefully at what it has and doesn’t have. As you are painfully learning.

So it doesn't really surprise me now to find out that, even though the car has the hardware, it's not licensed to use it.
Only cars built after September 2014 have autopilot hardware. And just to clarify, that is AP1 which is a frozen-in-time system which is different from the current autopilot which started late 2016 and continues to change with OTA updates.