Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying new car soon. How do I transfer car to my account?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why doesn't the free supercharging transfer
It's about a 400 mile drive home. So I won't be able to use a supercharger until it transfers? Won't it just charge to his account if it hasn't transferred yet? He has free unlimited supercharging(i know this doesn't transfer) so i don't think he'd mind if it did.

When the seller delinks the car from their account, the supercharging will not work for the car until it is linked in your account. That link could be immediate, or it could take some time from what I have read.

What 2020 came with free supercharging?
Pre 2017 Model S's (MS) came with free transferable supercharging, less those that Tesla got a hold of and resold through their CPO program. From 2017 to today there were limited times free supercharging was available on MS's in order to boost sales. Perhaps @bimmer88 is getting one of those. But I'm pretty sure the free supercharging was not transferable. Hopefully @bimmer88 will let us know.

Hmm… so I’m reading in another thread that I should have seller add me as a user first since transfer can take 3-5 days. I don’t want to not have access to supercharging because I’m sure I’ll need to use it at least once in order to get home. Does this sound like the right way to do this?

Hmm… so I’m reading in another thread that I should have seller add me as a user first since transfer can take 3-5 days. I don’t want to not have access to supercharging because I’m sure I’ll need to use it at least once in order to get home. Does this sound like the right way to do this?
Or work it out with seller to transfer ownership via Tesla App after you get back home.

Pre 2017 Model S's (MS) came with free transferable supercharging, less those that Tesla got a hold of and resold through their CPO program. From 2017 to today there were limited times free supercharging was available on MS's in order to boost sales. Perhaps @bimmer88 is getting one of those. But I'm pretty sure the free supercharging was not transferable. Hopefully @bimmer88 will let us know.

Here's a pretty good and up-to-date article on the topic of free supercharging:

Reactions: NV Ray

That's what a friend of mine just did when he sold his Model 3. He added the buyer as a driver, made sure they didn't have any in-app purchase capabilities, the buyer used supercharging on the way home, the buyer than paypal'd the cost of the supercharging, and then the seller started the transfer process once the buyer got the car home.

Reactions: NV Ray
No. I wouldn’t add you as a driver before you paid for the vehicle.

Create your tesla.com account, add a credit card to it, have buyer transfer car to you after you pay. It takes no time for the car to appear in your account and be removed from theirs.

You’re overthinking this.

Reactions: brkaus