Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying out a leased S, does 4 year warranty come with it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so I am facing an option of buying my 75D for 50k in August or looking for a 90D. I noticed on the Tesla website the used Tesla list of CPO's. I know they're not called that anymore but..........
Tesla gives a 4 year 50k mile warranty as well as what's left on the 8-year battery warranty when purchasing a CPO.
I plan on going into the Tesla store to inquire but from past history, I have little confidence in getting a straight answer. Tesla STILL has terrible communication issues. If I buy my own lease out, will I get the 4-year warranty with it? I am keeping my eye out for an S 90D but man, Tesla has so many problems delivering used Tesla's. I'm not sure I trust them and their "70 point" inspection. :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
When you buy out a lease, you get no additional warranties. You are buying it out from the leasing company who technically owns the car right now (not Tesla). You are buying is "as is", not as a CPO. This means only warranties currently applicable to the car continue. You can probably buy the extended warranty, unless you're above 50K miles.

When you buy out a lease, you get no additional warranties. You are buying it out from the leasing company who technically owns the car right now (not Tesla). You are buying is "as is", not as a CPO. This means only warranties currently applicable to the car continue. You can probably buy the extended warranty, unless you're above 50K miles.

You may be right but, am I not doing Tesla a favor by buying out my lease? They don't have to take my car, inspect, sell etc...which they seem to be not very good at. I'm not purchasing a new one. Too expensive. When I get a chance I will try and speak with sales at the local Tesla dealer. Still, I understand I may have to purchase my own extended warranty......................Or give the car back then buy it back from Tesla. :)

Just to reiterate what was said - your factory warranty (both battery/drivetrain and limited warranty) begin the moment you take delivery of the vehicle when new. so if you buy out a lease, you carry the remainder of the warranty.

If you are looking for extended coverage past your factory warranty window, X-Care is the only 3rd party offering for Extended Service Coverage which is typically cheaper than Tesla and only a $100 deductible per visit versus Tesla's $200 deductible. We matched the coverage to Tesla's ESA and works around Tesla Service/Mobile Service process.

You can see our Instant Quote Tool and FAQs at www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care/

Attachments

• X-Care EV Brochure.pdf
    566.1 KB · Views: 42
What I was saying is on the Tesla website for used Tesla's:

Warranty
4 year, infinite mile battery and drive warranty
4 year, 50,000 mile limited warranty

There are two different warranties for Used Tesla's.

Used Limited Warranty: If the Used vehicle is within the original 4 year and 50k mile warranty window, then it will get an additional 4 year and 50k warranty from date of delivery .

Used Extended Warranty: If the Used Vehicle is outside of the original 4 year and 50k mile warranty, then it will have a 2 year or up to 100k mile warranty from date of delivery.

All vehicles will have the remainder of their 8 year battery and drivetrain warranty from first in use date (first date of delivery from new)

You may be right but, am I not doing Tesla a favor by buying out my lease? They don't have to take my car, inspect, sell etc...which they seem to be not very good at. I'm not purchasing a new one. Too expensive. When I get a chance I will try and speak with sales at the local Tesla dealer. Still, I understand I may have to purchase my own extended warranty......................Or give the car back then buy it back from Tesla. :)
You are not doing Tesla any favors, they don't own the car, the leasing company does. The residual value is what the leasing company estimated they will be able to wholesale the car for - in Tesla's case +$7,500, so if your 75D residual is $50K, the leasing company plans to wholesale it at $42,500, and they might get a little more at auction. 75D CPO's go for between $51K and $66K, so $42.5 wholesale is reasonable. You buying it for $50K might net them a few grand over wholesale but not enough for them to try to entice you with a $4K+ ESA plan.

It is not unusual for people to buy a car at the end of the lease only to turn around and sell it right away. I've done it when I was able to find a buyer for more than the residual. With Tesla however, there is the $7,500 federal rebate they add to the residual (instead of subtracting it from the price - cleaver trick for leasing company to make money) so it's less likely to happen that your residual will be significantly lower than what you can sell the car for.

Bottom line, no harm in contacting the leasing company and asking them to make you a better offer towards the end of the lease. Who knows, maybe they'll let you have it for $47K instead of $50K.

PS> Don't bother going to the Tesla store, call the leasing company customer service phone number you can find on your bill.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chopr147