Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Plaid with 1k miles from BMW dealership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, my Plaid delivery date through Tesla was pushed out from November to March. I see there is my exact spec available for 1k miles for sale at a BMW dealership near me. It's about $15k more expensive, but thats OK with me. Is this a terrible idea? I'm new to teslas and i have two concerns: 1. there is some type of quality issue with the car, 2. I lose out on warranty I'd get if buying directly through Tesla.

I’m not sure what you mean exactly when you say you’ll lose out on the warranty, the warranty will not go away just because you buy it from a 3rd party.

As far as quality issues, unlike buying from Tesla you can go to bmw and test drive it before buying it. Maybe you can find some issues to knock the price down a bit because 15k over Tesla’s price is a bit high IMO.

I wouldnt pay a $15k premium. That's a nice amount of stock of whatever company you want to buy into.
But then again, Im not a multimulti millionaire, so $15k might be pennies to others

did you try just calling your SA and asking them to look for one? When I called about my LR order yesterday he said unless I wanted a plaid there was nothing he could do for me, but that there were plenty of plaids available if I wanted to upgrade...(he could have been full of crap but its worth a call). Number I called was 888-518-3752 and followed the prompts for new car delivery.

did you try just calling your SA and asking them to look for one? When I called about my LR order yesterday he said unless I wanted a plaid there was nothing he could do for me, but that there were plenty of plaids available if I wanted to upgrade...(he could have been full of crap but its worth a call). Number I called was 888-518-3752 and followed the prompts for new car delivery.
Will try this, thanks!

I wouldn’t spend $15k over for a Plaid. Given the QC issues with these cars I’d wait for a new one.
Agreed on that one. Of course you can go and inspect / drive the car, but the Plaid was more rushed than the usual Tesla, and I would avoid early manufacturing dates. My October LR is about perfect (so far). I've also heard it will be much easier to find a Plaid before year-end, if your SA stays on top of things.

Reactions: WilliamG