Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine is thinking of buying a used 2016 Model S from Tesla

As they don’t show real pictures, is it a bit of a lottery as to condition?

Do they prepare them to a high standard?

or are their pdi’s as dodgy as buying new lol?

A friend of mine is thinking of buying a used 2016 Model S from Tesla

As they don’t show real pictures, is it a bit of a lottery as to condition?

Do they prepare them to a high standard?

or are their pdi’s as dodgy as buying new lol?
The experience of buying used from Tesla is worse than buying from the shadiest used car lot in town.

Search around the forums. They basically do no prep on the vehicle and you will always be treated as a second class citizen because you did not buy new. And given the current state of Tesla’s CS, think about what that means.

Reactions: MOBB
Interesting that the Tesla experience is exactly the same in the US of A as in the UK.
Some say great and others terrible.
My M3 SR+ purchased in February was virtually faultless and still seems to be but the Model Y does seem to be worse than the 3 (if possible) when delivered with some really shocking errors/faults reported.

I wonder if the Y is on a new line with inexperienced personnel?

I bought my first model S back in 2016, first registered 2015. My only gripe then was that I had to put a non refundable deposit of £1000 before they would bring the car from Heathrow (I think) to Birmingham for me to view and make a decision.

Having said that, the car was in immaculate condition and I have had nothing but excellent service from the Birmingham SC then and since. I purchased a new model S in June 2019 and once again the experience was very good. I did, however sell 'privately' to R Symons as their offer was 25% better than the Tesla offer.

The Tesla experience is certainly a mixed bag with many people having need to vent their feelings about poor quality/service. But there again people that are satisfied are far less likely to feel it necessary to advertise that fact.

Just my 2p worth

I bought a 2016 Model S from Tesla last week. The service from the Edinburgh depot was really good and quality of the car excellent. I went with Tesla because of the warranty and quality check.

It's my first Tesla and really pleased with it, though adjusting to KWH and battery use is interesting!

What was missing however was any detail such as the condition of the tires and tread. I would also of liked the Quality check documentation at handover.

If you have a specific car you are looking at start a chat and ask them to send the pictures over. Thats what I did as they don't seem to upload them on to their website.