Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bye, Tesla insurance.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Customer service is literally absent.
There’s just no one working there.

Being in CA, there’s no way to manually add or make changes to a policy without speaking to someone on the phone. And, the phone wait times are over 2 hours, at which point I give up. Or, an automated message says to call back during business hours, which I am doing!

Here’s my latest attempt to call them before giving up.

I have not been able to add a new vehicle for some time now because no one ever picks up. (Car is garaged during this entire time).

Will be paying more to go to a carrier that will actually pick up the phone within a reasonable time.

15CBADB3-2C9C-44F7-B4C7-F34B962AF847.png

Why anyone would trust this company for a function as important as insurance is mind boggling.
I had a total loss event about 2 months ago.

Tesla insurance released the car to me after I bought it back from IAA.

However, IAA is still shown as a lienholder, and 2 weeks of emails to Tesla Insurance have gone unanswered.

I had to call the local body shop, who could email my adjuster, who still hasn't responded to me.

I live in California as well and have had the same experience as you. For our new 2023 Model Y, I'm using AAA insurance (which we already have for home, my wife's car, and umbrella insurance). Once I sell the 2020 Model Y (soon), I'll have to cancel the Tesla Insurance on that vehicle. Hopefully I won't have to be on hold for over 2 hours....

Similar issues here. Tesla insurance prices were competitive and we had them for about a year.

But after we tried to make a policy change and later wanted to add a driver, and unable to make such changes without a human agent, we had to give up on those hours spent on hold. Back to USAA for our auto insurance.

Reactions: baguette and RayB
I live in California as well and have had the same experience as you. For our new 2023 Model Y, I'm using AAA insurance (which we already have for home, my wife's car, and umbrella insurance). Once I sell the 2020 Model Y (soon), I'll have to cancel the Tesla Insurance on that vehicle. Hopefully I won't have to be on hold for over 2 hours....

So, you would like to cancel? Is that right?
Would you mind if I place you on hold for a couple minutes while I gather the necessary information to process the cancellation?

(2 more hours on hold)

Hang up.

Why anyone would trust this company for a function as important as insurance is mind boggling.
For some of us insurance is not really important and is only to get the minimum to satisfy state laws and our umbrella policy and otherwise self insure. It’s the cheapest in the long run and instead of hassling with insurance you just suck it up if the need arises.

I found adding cars through the Tesla app is painless. And telemetry is a nice feature incentive to be safer. I drive with a much bigger following distance now. I like the Tesla insurance. Never found a need to call them though.

Reactions: gt2690b
I see. Not in CA. Can’t do anything through the app for insurance in CA.
I’m located in California. I was able to cancel via the app (under Account->Insurance, I believe). That’s about all you can do via the app for insurance.

I sent Tesla Insurance an email to get a quote for the new car, since hanging on the phone for 2 hours wasn’t going to cut it for me. They finally replied back with a quote, over a week later. Less than AAA, but I’m staying with AAA. Tesla customer support is horrible, and wouldn’t want to deal with them if I needed to.