Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BYND Beyond Meat out of main

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't doubt that, but the way to eat more veggies is, well, to eat more veggies. The problem is that most people are familiar with either tasteless restaurant veggies--particularly the horrid ones found at "family" restaurants--or Grandmothers overcooked veggies which are even less tasty (apologies to those Grandmothers who actually cook tasty veggies).
You're missing the entire point of these products. It's not the "I should eat more veggies" crowd it's the "I'm not going to eat more veggies unless they taste like meat" crowd.

Neither Beyond Meat or Impossible Burgers are as tasty as real meat, but they keep getting closer. But that's not the competition. The competition are veggie burgers. When I go into Starbucks now I'll order the breakfast sandwich with the Impossible meat. If Starbucks offered a breakfast sandwich with a "veggie patty" I wouldn't try it because over the years I've had so many unsatisfactory veggie patties. A few are really good, but many are truly inedible. With Beyond Meat and Impossible I know that I'm getting a consistently decent meat-like experience.

I'm very bullish about BYND, although the pandemic really slowed their momentum, and it's going to take awhile for them to recover. But the trend away from real meat is evident. Meat is an environmental disaster, and the slaughter of animals is horrific. A lot of meat is truly unhealthy, and expensive. Beyond Meat and Impossible products keep getting less expensive and more healthy as they innovate and grow.

I believe that 10 years from now most new cars will be electric and most protein consumed will be plant based. BYND and Impossible are the TSLA of the protein market. TSLA crossed over into mass market acceptance with the Model 3. I'm not sure how long it will take for BYND and Impossible to cross over into the mass market, so their valuation may still tend to drift for awhile longer. But I predict they will cross over some time in the next 5 years.

By the way, the global protein market is yuge, and there is only one significant legacy animal protein brand in the USA, Tyson. If I'm right about the transformation of the protein market from animals to alternatives, there are far weaker big business competitors and brands in the way than what Tesla had to conquer.

I bought a box of frozen Beyond Meat burgers to evaluate what I had invested in. First off I was appalled about how much plastic was used in the packaging. Then when I took a burger out of the packaging I thought it smelled like dog food. When I cooked one, it stunk up the house pretty bad (I could still smell it when I came home from work the next day). I ate it with a keto bun, cheddar cheese, and ample amounts of ketchup. It was actually an enjoyable meal and I liked the taste and texture, but still just based on the smell and wasteful packaging I couldn't help but feel like I should sell my stock and by something else. Are their other products better than the burgers?
I have a food distributor near by and they sell the burgers in 40 packs. It comes in a big box with one big plastic bag. It feels like much less plastic waste, but I haven't measured the mass.

As for the smell, it is definitely different than meat, but I actually enjoy the smell when opening a pack of the ground Beyond. My kids commented on that once. They said they prefer the smell when I cook that to when I cook with ground beef.

So far I'm very happy making the Beyond Beef into a spaghetti and meat sauce, "meat loaf", chili, and tacos. I don't see the need for ground beef there. I did try lasagna once; it was ok, but didn't give me the taste I wanted/was accustomed to.. maybe I need to change the recipe a bit.

Ethan Brown contends there are several main benefits to consuming plant-based foods instead of animal meat. It leads to fewer greenhouse gas emissions, it consumes fewer natural resources and it is better for human health.

But for Mr. Brown, the founder and chief executive of Beyond Meat, there is a more personal motivator: He would rather not be responsible for the deaths of animals.

Thoughts on cultivated meat as a competitor to plant-based meat alternatives?

Sounds like the tech is ready to scale sooner than I had realized, but it also sounds like it's just ground meat for now since they can't get the structure quite right: 'It's not science fiction': New East Bay facility producing lab-grown meat plans to produce 400,000 pounds per year
The simpler and smaller the product, the easier it is.
For that reason, Seba has suggested it's milk protein substitution that will happen first, and relatively rapidly, and meat will follow.

Reactions: mspohr
The simpler and smaller the product, the easier it is.
For that reason, Seba has suggested it's milk protein substitution that will happen first, and relatively rapidly, and meat will follow.
I think Tony Seba has predicted that proteins will be made by genetically modified yeast directly rather than cultivated meat cells. This is easier and faster and less complex. It also gives a more pure product and eliminates animal inputs to the system.

Beyond getting wrecked on earnings miss

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Went looking for Beyond and Impossible "chicken" products but no such products at the store, however stumbled on this and gave it a try.

OMG, really good. Ate the whole bag for dinner - actually let my youngest son eat one tender so I could avoid technically eating it all at one go.

ultimate-plantbased-chickn-84871.png

Beyond getting wrecked on earnings miss
That sucks, I thought they were going to be the next Tesla.

That sucks, I thought they were going to be the next Tesla.
It's probably early to pick winners, but I like and believe in the trend. I'm vegetarian (trying to err on the vegan side) and these kind of products are definitely premium (not only BYND but other competitors).
I buy BYND for a barbecue (from a local vegan restaurant!), or in a few fast foods.
If they manage to cut down costs it will be a steady growth, IMHO. (Note: I live in Italy, not easy to find BYND, as I said. Easier for other competitors).

Man, this thing is purely bear dominated now. How can it be up 10% premarket, and red during normal hours? High volume too.
Much like Tesla, Beyond has many deep pocketed enemies that will stop at nothing in their attempt to drive the company into the ground. Animal exploitation is a very lucrative industry and just like slave owners wouldn’t give up without a fight, these companies will not go down peacefully.