Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

C-Bond NanoShield Plus™ Windshield Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have experience with this stuff.

My son just came home on leave from the USAF and he picked up two pretty BIG stone chips and we used a DIY kit ($15) to fix it. SafeGlass quoted us $150 (if they could safely fix them). We were able to reduce the chips by 80 or 90% and much less noticeable. I added glass coverage to my new MY but all that does is shift the financial burden around plus my premium's went up $7/month for this overage.

This stuff looks legit, thoughts comments?

Had an email back and forth w/ Vince Pugliese, President and Chief Operating Officer there - a friend of mine was telling me there are tons of such products on Amazon.. Here's what Vince replied:

"...Our technology is patented. There is no other material similar in the market to our knowledge

.. I do not know your friends background. There is a fundamental difference between a hydrophobic that repels water and C-Bond that reinforces glass. The microstructure of glass surface has numerous defects. The glass is made from sand and chemically is formed with Si-O bonds on the surface. C-Bond migrates into the defects via surface tension then forms the same Si-O bond to provide additional resistant force against impact and pressure.

We priced the solution for value and affordability. The Tesla users testimonial provides unbiased feedback. "

I didn't know this product is only available through car detailers, but it looks like they made a special case for Tesla owners (I heard about it from one the the TMC forums, maybe the Roadster one). I ordered and received the kit, haven't tested it yet ( prefer not to have to! ) but will definitely report here if anything happens to confirm/ unconfirm its benefits

FYI - Vince's email: [email protected]

Also I researched this product prior to purchasing, sounds legit
C-Bond Systems’ C-Bond NanoShield Reduces Windshield Damage on 20 Tesla X Vehicles in Independent Test in the Netherlands

NB. there are also other products that leave a protective film, didn't try these, seems like overkill

I was planning on applying it this weekend, but its raining. I learned about C-Bond from some security guys that use their ballistic film to help increase bullet and fragmentation protection on VIP vehicles/buildings. I got the kit through a trucker parts website called IOWA80.com (which looks like the same source the OP used above)...it comes with a huge amount and includes: Pre-Treatment spray, C-Bond NanoShield Plus™ protectant solution, squeegee, two microfiber cloths, installation sticker, and instructions.

Reviews

Last edited:
Reactions: CLK350 and CO_MY
I was planning on applying it this weekend, but its raining. I learned about C-Bond from some security guys that use their ballistic film to help increase bullet and fragmentation protection on VIP vehicles/buildings. I got the kit through a trucker parts website called IOWA80.com (which looks like the same source the OP used above)...it comes with a huge amount and includes: Pre-Treatment spray, C-Bond NanoShield Plus™ protectant solution, squeegee, two microfiber cloths, installation sticker, and instructions.

Reviews

Do you think there is enough solution for both the windshield and roof glass? Thank you!!!

If I'm understanding that video correctly, they used the C-Bond solution in conjunction with a 15 mil ballistic film. The kit only contains the solution without a film so the video is a useless comparison. I would want to see tests performed on glass using only the C-Bond and no film.

The "news story" link (which is a press release) is also not enough for me. They compared a 1MM km 4-month test to the prior and longer 6-month period and unspecified km. That means a large segment of this test would have occurred during the Netherlands winter. Since they didn't test the same 4-month period over two years their "test" can't be validated. It would be more practical for them to fire calibrated bb's at two windshields (one treated/ one untreated) until they chip.

I may sound skeptical but the market is flooded with snake-oil salesmen. It doesn't take much to find the holes in their test claims.

Last edited:
SAFETY & SECURITY FILM. PERFORMANCE GUIDE film 7mm and up + solution. Your windshield already has a laminate on it, since its safety glass. The solution only works about 80% better than a naked windshield. I looked at adding both the film and solution to my home ground level windows. I asked my car tint installer to use it for the install, but they didn't have any on hand, it would have been nice to have it on both sides of the window for further strength.

Attachments

• C-Bond-System-Performance-Guide.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CLK350
If I'm understanding that video correctly, they used the C-Bond solution in conjunction with a 15 mil ballistic film. The kit only contains the solution without a film so the video is a useless comparison. I would want to see tests performed on glass using only the C-Bond and no film.

The "news story" link (which is a press release) is also not enough for me. They compared a 1MM km 4-month test to the prior and longer 6-month period and unspecified km. That means a large segment of this test would have occurred during the Netherlands winter. Since they didn't test the same 4-month period over two years their "test" can't be validated. It would be more practical for them to fire calibrated bb's at two windshields (one treated/ one untreated) until they chip.

I may sound skeptical but the market is flooded with snake-oil salesmen. It doesn't take much to find the holes in their test claims.
Free market, go naked, if truckers and security firms are using it, then that's enough of an endorsement for me, also RICE University tested the solution only and it improved strength 250% over bare glass adding film just increases strength and provides fragmentation containment.

Performance Validation Tests | Cbond

Testimonials | Cbond

Attachments

• <p>C-Bond Test Report 1<_p>.pdf
    464.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CLK350
Free market, indeed! The links are a bit more helpful and it's definitely a compelling product line. This sounds kind of like chemical tempering which we use on buildings when a piece of glass has an unconventional shape and can't be tempered using conventional processes.

I still would recommend they produce test data on windshields. They are typically two 2mm tempered glass layers with a 1mm non-ballistic vinyl in between, so a lot different than what they've been testing. It definitely seems to be better than nothing. Maybe they just haven't put that together yet.

Yep. I'm thinking of using it at the very least to prevent snowflaking of the windshield in the northeast winters. For those not familiar the salt and sand create thousands of micro-chips on the glass surface over time that make the windshield look like it's got tiny snowflakes on it in the lights at night. If it resists larger rock chips, all the better, but sounds like a good preventative for sand and salt chips at least and can be applied every fall.

@TomServo Why not save a few bucks, email Vince at [email protected] - from his email - see below - you could just email him that info and someone at the company will send you the invoice - I paid via AMEX $54.56 shipping included for the kit and received the package in the mail a few days later.

Disclaimer: I have no relation and no interest at all with C-Bond (altho I may invest in the company if I like the product, just for grins)

Vince's email extract:

" Here is the application video and attached instructions, (remove * ) https: * //youtu.be/ * Dz-CLOpH-iI
We have two products for your application:
A Kit that includes the solution, glass cleaner, squeegee, a microfiber cloths - $39.99
A single application bottle of the solution - $26.99

All I need to process an order is the information below and what you would like. We will send an invoice which you can pay on line.

CUSTOMER

Attn: Name

Company

Address

Address

City, State Zip

[Phone]

Free market, indeed! The links are a bit more helpful and it's definitely a compelling product line. This sounds kind of like chemical tempering which we use on buildings when a piece of glass has an unconventional shape and can't be tempered using conventional processes.

I still would recommend they produce test data on windshields. They are typically two 2mm tempered glass layers with a 1mm non-ballistic vinyl in between, so a lot different than what they've been testing. It definitely seems to be better than nothing. Maybe they just haven't put that together yet.
You make a very valid point, I wonder how the tempering process impacts the ability for this chemical process to work on the glass, essentially the tempered glass is coated.... I wonder if the pretreatment plays a role in helping it adhere even on tempered glass. I did all the windows on my FJ Cruiser yesterday, relatively easy. I used about half the bottle. Today, I will do my Model S, then see if I have enough for the wife's Model S. Good news is my detailer gave me a sample bottle and I suspect I will need it...