Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CA finally cashed my check today. Hoping that means I will get purple even though I sent it in last month. Hope it also means they will be coming fairly soon.

As for South Bay and the HOV lane I second the thoughts about ICE cheaters. I've even seen a few EV cheaters who think just because they have an EV they don't need the stickers. I won't go in the lane unless I have stickers or 2+ people. Wish everyone followed the law.

CA finally cashed my check today. Hoping that means I will get purple even though I sent it in last month. Hope it also means they will be coming fairly soon.

As for South Bay and the HOV lane I second the thoughts about ICE cheaters. I've even seen a few EV cheaters who think just because they have an EV they don't need the stickers. I won't go in the lane unless I have stickers or 2+ people. Wish everyone followed the law.

I think I'm going to purchase another Tesla once the red decals are expired. It saves me at least 45 minutes daily. LA commute is insane. Hopefully trade in will be decent since I purchased EAP post delivery (6k). It should raise resell price to maybe by 1k-1.5k after 4 years of depreciation?

Just got an email from Metro Expresslanes (SoCal 10 and 110 FWY) that those with the red or purple HOV stickers only get a 15% off of toll rates and need to switch the transponder to the actual number of people in the vehicle. No more free rides when driving solo.

OMG! Me too! Nice of them to give us 5 weeks notice. I actually called my state senators office today and spoke to someone in their transportation department...she drives an EV and hadn't read the email until I told her about it. Called the county supervisor and their transportation person seemed shocked that I did know....apparently they voted on this in April of 2018. I commute exclusively in toll lanes and bought a car in December to apply for the purple sticker......do you recall any other notification?

OMG! Me too! Nice of them to give us 5 weeks notice. I actually called my state senators office today and spoke to someone in their transportation department...she drives an EV and hadn't read the email until I told her about it. Called the county supervisor and their transportation person seemed shocked that I did know....apparently they voted on this in April of 2018. I commute exclusively in toll lanes and bought a car in December to apply for the purple sticker......do you recall any other notification?
Nope. Pretty pissed as well. The 110 is my entire commute.

I am wondering if they could actually enforce this or just scare people off from setting it to 3? If you have really dark tinted windows in the back, there is no way a camera could see into your back seat and say you have 0 passenger in the back right? I guess they could mail out tickets to all the cars setting to 3 with no passenger in the front, but unless they got a clear picture of the back seats, you could still fight the ticket.

I am wondering if they could actually enforce this or just scare people off from setting it to 3? If you have really dark tinted windows in the back, there is no way a camera could see into your back seat and say you have 0 passenger in the back right? I guess they could mail out tickets to all the cars setting to 3 with no passenger in the front, but unless they got a clear picture of the back seats, you could still fight the ticket.
It's enforced by the CHP not a camera. There are lights on the back of the toll reader that flash a different color depending on the transponder setting.

It's enforced by the CHP not a camera. There are lights on the back of the toll reader that flash a different color depending on the transponder setting.

Ah. I never drove on the 10/110.. only the 91 express lane. I kind of remember seeing CHP parked at the service lane near the toll reader once in a while. I wonder if they will take away free express lane on the 91 soon too.