TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CA HOV Stickers

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by chronopc, Oct 25, 2018.

1. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

It's been about a month since the CA DMV took my money and I still haven't received my stickers. I called them and they said it won't be issued until January. Is anyone else experiencing this?

2. Reid

Reid Member

No that's weird. We got ours yesterday, I put them on last night. Our car was delivered in July but it took me awhile -- Tesla kept forgetting to take our money which meant it took 2 months to get the registration. I finally sent in the form BEFORE the reg came, leaving plate # blank. Went on vacation for 3 weeks, came back, we had registration AND plates AND a returned sticker application saying the car wasn't yet registered in our names. (obviously they tried to process it a mere 2 months after we bought the car, which was before Tesla bothered to send in the paperwork).

So, I put it back in the mail with the plate #. Check was cashed this monday, stickers arrived yesterday.

White stickers expire in 2019 and are being replaced with red stickers, but red stickers have been getting issued for many months already, so that can't be your issue.

• Like x 1
  3. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

I was contemplating even trying to stickers this year since I don't think I will get them until next year? So essentially you join the program in 2018 and lose the entire first year of having the stickers? Would should I instead submit in Jan 1st?

Since they tend to expire stickers at random years (Some people get 3 years sticker use others get 5 etc) it probably wouldn't matter, however essentially you could potentially have 2018 counted against you if you applied for them now?

4. Need

Need Active Member

It does take over a month when I applied for the white stickers. But it's actually to your benefit if they hold your application until next year. You will gain an extra year.

• Like x 2
  5. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

Is it the date your issued stickers or the date you apply for them that counts?

6. Need

Need Active Member

I would think it is the date they process your application. I am waiting until mid or late Jan next to apply for my other car's stickers just to be sure.

7. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

That'll be sweet if I gain another year.

8. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

Definitely waiting until January of 2019 so that it can expire 2023 January.
    It is painful to wait another 2 months without HOV access but if I can get 1 more year rather than expiring Jan 2022, it is worth waiting it.

At least that is what I see in DMV site. I hope DMV does not change words at the last minute.

• Like x 1
  9. 127.0.0.0

127.0.0.0 Member

I am also waiting until January to apply So I can get it until 2023. Now does anyone Know if we Apply in December is it a better idea so that way we get the sticker early next year? Or NO ? Since we are trying to really get it until 2023 Jan

• Like x 1
  10. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

Applying December sounds best deal if you get it approved by Jan. 1st but if they approve you prior to Jan.1st, that would be terrible and too risky.

Although I may lose some days of January, I plan to apply late December (like 15~20th).

• Like x 1
  11. DUBM3

DUBM3 Member

I’m on the same boat, maybe a bit conservative. I will mail out last week of December. Safe better sorry!

12. Haxster

Haxster Member

Unless the DMV decides to issue a new color decal next year that expires beyond Jan. 1, 2022 (extremely unlikely), all red decals will expire on this date, regardless of when they're issued.

Think about it: How is an enforcement officer going to be able to determine the red decal expiration date of a vehicle moving in the HOV lane?

The only possible benefit that I can think of for waiting until after the 1st is for the next cycle of HOV decals (if there is one). I got lucky in that the only reason that I qualified for a red decal is that my white decal was issued after Jan. 1, 2017. Had it been issued before then, I would not have been able to apply for the red decal. YMMV

13. ninpb

ninpb Member

Funny how I ended up with this 55k car because of 2 months timing!

I leased a leaf in Aug 2016 and received my white stickers in October 2016. If I would have waited til 2017, I would have been elligible for red making me good til 2022. Downtown LA work commute, 60 miles round trip so I was pretty desperate to keep hov access.

14. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Member

Why do you think this is unlikely? Here's what the CA ARB web page says:

"NEW STICKER PROGRAM - APPLICATIONS NOT YET AVAILABLE
    Qualifying vehicles that were not issued a green, white, or red decal prior to January 1, 2019, will be eligible for a new Clean Air Vehicle decal starting in January 2019. These decals will expire January 1, 2023. Information regarding the color, application date, and application process are not yet available."
    There are two ways they could handle this: either there will be a new color after Jan 1, 2019, or they will exchange red stickers issued after that date for another color in 2022, just like they replaced your original white stickers with the red ones this year.

15. Haxster

Haxster Member

I stand corrected. :oops:

16. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

I have a 2013 Model P85. I currently have the White HOV Stickers I got when the car was new. Does anyone know if I would be eligible for the NEW RED Stickers? I checked the website and it shows this: DTSLV00.0L1S but there's no link attached. Does anyone know if Model S Vehicles from 2013 are eligible?

17. pmppk

pmppk Member

Only cars that have never been issued stickers before, or have been issued stickers after 1/1/2017 are eligible for new ones.

• Like x 2
  18. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

Thanks for the clear answer. Much appreciated.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

20. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

• Like x 1