TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CA Rebate + HOV

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by kmngq, Apr 2, 2018.

1. kmngq

kmngq Member

So after purchase of an EV, you have 18 months to apply for a rebate.
    Currently in CA, you only get a rebate or HOV sticker. Can't have both.

Do you guys think this will ever revert back to being able to apply for both?

Or should I just apply for what I think is worth more now, and just be done with it?

2. comanchepilot

comanchepilot Member

If you buy an EV you should apply for the sticker - its valid now until 12/31/2021 once they get their head out of their rears and figure out a way to issue the post 12/31/2018 stickers.

Seems to me its a simple solution to state:

" I swear under penalty of perjury that I am applying for this HOV lane access in compliance with Veh. Code Section 21xxx, and that I am in compliance with said statute and the regulations thereunder. I understand that if I am incorrect in my assertion concerning eligibility I shall lose both the rebate applied for an the HOV sticker. I consent to the DMV verifying my income and / or the issuance of an HOV lane sticker in order to confirm my eligibility."

Then just check the issuance of a sticker vs, the vehicle and then verify that the VIN has or has not been sent a rebate check. . .

3. gregd

gregd Active Member

I think it depends on where you drive. Sometimes one would pay anything to be in the HOV lane; sometimes they're as bad as the regular ones, and you might as well just relax and go with the (lack of) flow. Sometimes there's not a choice. Perhaps let your blood pressure be your guide.

Personally, I strongly dislike the thought of plastering the corners of my Roadster with ugly stickers. Fortunately, I rarely drive where HOV lane access would make a difference in my life, so the choice for me would be easy - I'd take the money.

4. bruinboi85

bruinboi85 Member

I just bought a Model 3. My 2017 income is >300k, but my 2018 will be under 300k. So right now, I can't get the rebate since they look at last year's tax return. However, if I wait I can apply in 8-9 months. Does anyone know if there will be any rebate $ left at that time in CA?

If not, I would just go ahead and apply for the stickers now. Thoughts anyone?

5. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

The red stickers are being shipped now.

HOV lanes should be much quicker next year once all the white stickers expire.

• Informative x 1
  6. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

Ehhh around SoCal I see almost as many more solo rider offenders than HOV sticker drivers (if not more).

• Like x 1
  7. bruinboi85

bruinboi85 Member

I was wrong - evidently they will ask for income verification after you file for the current year. I went ahead and applied. Most of the HOV lanes around me are as slow as the normal lanes.

8. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

So you can only get the stickers or the rebate now, but not both? That kinda sucks!

My last EV in 2016, I got both the white stickers and the $2500 check.

9. teslasuperfan

teslasuperfan Member

You can still get both if you are under the income threshold.

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

10. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

I thought th red stickers still expire at the end of 2018? And there will be a completly new system starting January 2019?