TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CA tax rate when picking up at the factory

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by dwebb66, Mar 2, 2016.

1. dwebb66

dwebb66 Member

I am planning to pick up my X at the factory, what is the tax rate in Fremont?

2. Gen3

Gen3 Member

A bill was just debated to eliminate the tax, but I'm not sure if it's in effect yet.

3. dbsynergy

dbsynergy Member

It doesn't matter where you buy the car, the sales tax is calculated on the home address where the car is registered.

4. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Sorry, but this is incorrect. Do a search here for Factory deliverues for out of California residents. This issue is old news. Until California changes it's laws you pay Cali sales tax when takg delivery in Cali.

• Like x 1
  5. dwebb66

dwebb66 Member

#5 dwebb66, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    The tax rate varies by county and maybe even the city in California, I am just try to find out what the tax rate is in Freemont. I believe that you pay the tax rate of where you buy it, not where you reside.

6. dbsynergy

dbsynergy Member

The sales tax in Fremont is 9.5%. Last time I bought a car the dealership adjusted the sales tax down to the county where I lived since it was less than the county I was purchasing the car.

7. dwebb66

dwebb66 Member

Perfect and thanx for the information about the possibility of having it changed.

- - - Updated - - -

I just found this...

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/boe95.pdf

8. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

The OP is a California resident.

9. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Sorry. I missed that. Can't tell where dbsynergy is from though. ;-)

10. Haxster

Haxster Member

From a California resident order showing the final price and being picked up at the Fremont factory:

"This address (my listed home address) will determine your sales tax and registration fees."

What's interesting is that Tesla doesn't show a breakdown of the "applicable taxes and fees". (I'm requesting this info). But based on the final figure, it looks like the sales tax IS based on my home address. In my case 8.75% vs 9.5% in Fremont, CA.

A suspicious person might wonder, "What are those fees?". In my case, they are over $700. Undercoating? Miracle paint protector? Dealer prep? VIP delivery service? Snack fee for plant tour? A full tank of electrons?

11. Sceeter

Sceeter Member

If you go on your My Tesla page and click the FAQ, there is a helpful section on sales tax and covers picking up in Fremont from out of state.