Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA will not be able to handle increased demand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the following message, displayed on my screen, is any indication of increased demand for electricity in CA is in trouble we are screwed. The amount of new EV's especially in CA is staggering. With Q2 and now Q3 sold out, I think the infrastructure will suffer in the short term. Just my opinion

Attachments

• Tesla Message.PNG
    Tesla Message.PNG
    472.5 KB · Views: 103
Peak grid use these days is late afternoon into the evening. Just set your charge timer to start charging after midnight. Those of us with Time of Use (TOU) power rates are especially incentivized to do so.

and:

If the following message, displayed on my screen, is any indication of increased demand for electricity in CA is in trouble we are screwed. The amount of new EV's especially in CA is staggering. With Q2 and now Q3 sold out, I think the infrastructure will suffer in the short term. Just my opinion

Translation of that message. "Dont charge your ev between 4pm to 9pm, and be part of the problem of increased demand. Charge outside those times, if you dont, you will be helping to contribute to PSPS events".

I always charge outside these hours. However, not everyone is able to do this. I was more concerned by the message that Superchargers may not be available. Those just passing through and others that use Superchargers exclusively due in part they live in apartments and have no access to home charging.

Reactions: cjxmtn
How is it FUD if it’s true? The grid in CA cannot handle demand as is. Now add 20+ million electric vehicles to the equation.

Let me know how you plan to solve for that.
Solar. Oh wait, there's a court case going on.
We're running into similar problems here in Texas. Apparently the wind is not blowing enough and ECOT was wanting customers to conserve.

Reactions: bruce4000
Most will charge between 10PM and 6AM when the demand for electricity is lowest. Solar will continue to get cheaper, more home owners will install solar systems. Power banks will supplement grid power during peak periods for Superchargers. Off-peak Supercharger rates will manage demand.

This is pretty out there but at some point in the future a self-driving electric vehicle could theoretically pilot itself to a DC Fast Charger or a Supercharger during the off-peak hours, charge, then return to it's home location.

It is really not much of an issue for home charging. Most people either charge overnight or in the morning before heading to work. Unless you work night shift, you don't really have to charge between 4pm to 9pm.

This affect more to the people who has no home charging and only supercharge their Tesla. 4pm to 9pm would be the prime time they charge their cars right after work and get ready for the next day.

I always charge outside these hours. However, not everyone is able to do this. I was more concerned by the message that Superchargers may not be available. Those just passing through and others that use Superchargers exclusively due in part they live in apartments and have no access to home charging.

Gas pumps work on electricity too, so if the grid is not available due to PSPS or other power outage events, people will have to drive to go fill up outside those areas whether they have a gas car or an EV.

Gas stations can have standby generators, power wall systems so they can continue to pump gas in case of a power outage. In some states, i.e. New Jersey standby power is now required for new gas stations after hurricane Sandy in 2012.

Solar. Oh wait, there's a court case going on.
We're running into similar problems here in Texas. Apparently the wind is not blowing enough and ECOT was wanting customers to conserve.
And how do you propose people who can’t, or don’t want to, pay for a solar system, battery storage, and required electrical work harness the power of the sun to charge their vehicles?

How long do blackouts typically last, a few minutes? A few hours? Just drive to another charger that has power.

And how do you propose people who can’t, or don’t want to, pay for a solar system, battery storage, and required electrical work harness the power of the sun to charge their vehicles?

Just drive to a charger that has power.

If an area is undergoing rolling blackouts, the supercharges in that area will have no power during that blackout. And yes, folks traveling thru will have to stop and wait until the blackout is over if they don't have enough juice to drive to an area that has juice. (Of course by the time that they arrive, that new area could be the next to roll into a blackout.

Yes, there are those FUD-sters who will use this to throw shade on EV's, but that's what we in CA get or incompetent leaders.

Gas stations can have standby generators, power wall systems so they can continue to pump gas in case of a power outage. In some states, i.e. New Jersey standby power is now required for new gas stations after hurricane Sandy in 2012.
Electricity is only part of the issue. If the network connection is down due to power outages some cash registers, ATMs, and credit card readers will not work.

Not an issue. Restaurants routinely deal with power outages, credit card processing being off line. Gas stations can too. Just fill out a credit card processing slip and sign. As long as the service station has fuel, can pump fuel the station can remain open for the duration of the blackout.

Last edited:
I have my car set to begin home charging at 2AM. I am not TOU but do it to ease up on the grid demand. Seems like common sense to me.
I do the same to put the heavy demand the car takes during low usage times. I am also not TOU so it makes no difference rate wise when I charge. I am also just waiting for my NetMeter from the power company to light up my solar.

Reactions: JimBob 909