Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin AC under outdoor cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to store my car in a hot garage for several weeks, with the Tesla outdoor cover on and charger connected. I'm wondering if there will be any problems starting the AC periodically to control interior temperature and humidity. The car cover will probably restrict the airflow to the cabin air intake, but I don't know if that would cause any problems other than making the fan work a little harder if the climate control decides to pull external air. There isn't any remote control of recirculation.

Any experiences to share?

If it's the genuine Tesla cover, and it's anything like the cover for the Model S, you should be okay. Tesla designed the cover (Model S, at least) to include the necessary vents for a/c and fan use which can also be a factor when just simply charging. I would have to think the same thought would be put in to the cover for the 3.

The cover is vented to allow for battery cooling, but presumably that doesn't use the cabin air path. It's the genuine Tesla cover---it hasn't arrived yet. I don't see how it could keep the cabin intake clear and still be rainproof. But I imagine that the car won't pull external air anyway, since that is kind of the point of the whole exercise.

For sure I'll be turning off the recirculation manually and then putting the cover on to test it.

For sure I'll be turning off the recirculation manually and then putting the cover on to test it.

Again my experiences are with my S and X, but when you remotely activate HVAC, it reverts all settings to full Auto, then restores to user preferences when you get in and start the car. (When they first rolled out remote HVAC, many owners were upset because it would set to full Auto and leave it there when you got back in the car. Many owners like to over-ride some of the auto settings). The 3 probably works the same way...