Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC not blowing fresh air

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scedarst

Sep 28, 2023
USA
AC will not blow fresh air through vents. Recirculate works fine. when I remove the cabin filters airflow is fine there. What controls/diverts airflow through the vents..i think this is the problem??

On occasion the Climate Control system gets lost in cyberspace, real space too. Sometimes you can kick start the Climate Control by switching from Auto to Manual and lowering or raising the set temperature and this will start the HVAC blowing air from the vents as you expect. You can try rebooting the infotainment computer. In my experience the next time I drive after one of the Lost episodes the Climate Control returns to normal.

The Climate Control system has twelve (12!) heating modes and three (3) cooling modes of operation. With so many different modes it is not surprising that sometimes the system goes tilt.

Reactions: fsb1
AC will not blow fresh air through vents. Recirculate works fine. when I remove the cabin filters airflow is fine there. What controls/diverts airflow through the vents..i think this is the problem??
If your AC is not providing fresh air through the vents but works fine on recirculate, and airflow improves when cabin filters are removed, there could be several underlying causes. First, even if you've inspected the cabin filters, double-check to ensure they are properly seated and oriented; a misalignment or incorrect installation can obstruct airflow. Second, the blend door actuator, which controls the shift between fresh and recirculated air, might be malfunctioning or jammed, preventing the intake of fresh air

I really wish, especially this time of the year, you could just push a button or say a command and have the system deliver just pure, uncooled or unheated, outside air. Seems like very few cars with auto HVAC have the ability to do this without a lot of manual adjustment, but since Tesla's is all SW controlled, you'd think it could easily be done.

Reactions: SkyDog