Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin overheat protection - limited to 12 hours.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

HenryT

Jan 29, 2020
Manchester
In case you were't aware (I wasn't) the cabin overheat protection only runs for 12 hours.

Saw mine kick in for the first time in a while yesterday when the temp reached 38 - apparently the ceiling is 40 degrees. Wrongly assumed it would be working today (even hotter in balmy Manchester today) and had a look to see the inside temperature had reached 61 degrees. The app showed Cabin Overheat Protection was on, so opened the doors to let some steam out and have a look what the car could tell me - an information note on the control in the car says that COP will run 'for up to 12 hours after you leave the car'

It may be you can re-start it by unlocking/locking the car remotely?

Yep, 'read the manual' and all that applies, but thought it might be useful for any other muppets out there.

(ps - reminds me of this time last year when my front number plate fell off after the adhesive pads melted - another lesson learned)

Open the door in the morning and close it again. That will reset the 12 hours. That's what I do if I know it's going to be hot.

In my experience testing this last year, opening the app did NOT reset the timer. Haven't tried unlocking and locking it again, as the door open system worked well enough for me.

For what it's worth - it's generally understood that the purpose of this function is to protect people & animals left in the car, although 40C (what it keeps it below) is - I'd argue - uncomfortably hot for adults, and far too hot for children imo. This is the reason it only works for up to 12 hours after the car was last driven, rather than 24/7/365.

The general consensus seems to be that the car doesn't "need" this feature to be active to protect itself/the interior, though some people - myself included - would rather keep the temperature inside at a sensible level to preserve materials, etc. This is the first car I've owned with basically a tablet in it, and I wouldn't leave a tablet inside an unventilated car in broad daylight.

It will use about 1-2% of your HV battery charge a day, assuming it is active for several hours in this sort of weather.

Last edited:
Given that bits were dropping off the outside of my car in 35 degree heat last year (see earlier comment) I dread to think what's likely to happen at 60+ on the inside.

I generally set the windows to vent if I know its warm be today/yesterday seemed to raise the bar a bit.

For what it's worth - it's generally understood that the purpose of this function is to protect people & animals left in the car, although 40C (what it keeps it below) is - I'd argue - uncomfortably hot for adults, and far too hot for children imo. This is the reason it only works for up to 12 hours after the car was last driven, rather than 24/7/365.
So now your telling me I can only leave the kids in the car for 12 hours?

Thank god for Dog Mode.

Tilt/Intrusion is the killer setting. Use Sentry Mode and that auto sets it. Use Keep Climate / Dog / Camp mode and it disables it.

What bugs me more is that if Sentry Mode is enabled while at an exempted location then app Cabin Overheat Protection toggle remains disabled.