Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection - Activation Temperature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Despite several software updates since the feature was released, changing the activation temperature of the Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) in the Tesla app does nothing except generate the following error message ... "Setting Cabin Overheat Protection not supported".

Are others seeing this as well?

My M3 is a 2022 RWD with software v11.1 (2022.44.30)
Tesla app is version 4.17.0

Is this a limitation of the 2022 M3 RWD, software glitch or hardware issue?

I reached out to Tesla Service and they want AUD$148.50 to take a look at the issue.

No car company can charge you a fee to look at or fix a oroblem they have caused during warranty. The wording of the app is important though, if its an error than thats a warranty issue. If a feature is not supported then its clearly not supported. A recent tesla loaner model 3 I drove had the same message.

When the feature was first released the message in the Tesla app was more of an error message. From memory something like a http 404 error. After a few Tesla app revisions the message has changed to the "not supported" message. One could argue that if the feature is not supported then why is the selection even available in the app for my M3. Clearly it knows the car it's "talking" to.

I don't mind if the feature is not supported in the 2022 M3 RWD, I really just want to know if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

It does disappoint me that the only response from Tesla is the cost estimate of AUD$148.50 for a visit to Mulgrave. If the feature is not supported on my particular M3 then surely Tesla support could look up my VIN and just let me know. Job done.

1.jpg

Selecting 35 degrees C produces this error message ...

2.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve had the same problem. Initially the feature wasn’t included (the release notes just omitted it - even though identical models included it). The 30/35/40 option wasn’t even visible.

Then after an update the options appeared, but it didn’t work - it gave the 404 error that you mention, then after a later update the “not supported” message.

I received the latest update today (2022.44.30), haven’t tried it since… but it doesn’t sound like it’s got any better.

It’s really weird because there’s no logical reason this should require any sort of specific hardware.

there’s no logical reason this should require any sort of specific hardware

... agreed. There clearly is some sort of thermocouple measuring the cabin temperature already as COP trips at 40ºC. It would seem to be just a software function to be able to vary this trigger point.

Problem is, Tesla are asking me for AUD$148.50 to tell me if this is a fault or simply an unsupported feature. To rub salt in, the vehicle is still within warranty!

I believe I've seen a report from someone who contacted Tesla about it that setting the COP temperature isn't available in Australia. No word on why, or whether this is a temporary or permanent state of affairs.
That sure would be unfortunate for a country which has a lot of sun and plenty of hot days (when La Nina is gone). A second similar bizarre situation is with the speed sign recognition which- last time I checked- was listed "Not available for Australia outside built up areas"

It is not an error message. It is a statement saying the feature is not supported.
... and is why I was hoping Tesla Service would just message back to me and say "yep, not supported in Australia" or similar, if indeed the feature is not available/supported rather than asking me to make a trip to a service centre with the risk of incurring a charge of AUD$148.50 for the pleasure.

For the benefit of others seeing the same thing in the Tesla app, I'll report back on what I'm advised by Tesla Service.

There was some discussion on this topic in the Tesla Software Updates - Australia thread back @ the end of October last year. Sorry do not know how link back there. I hired a model 3 in Canberra at the time and the function was both available & working.

Did not seem to work on my 3LR built Aug 2021. I set the temp and it looked okay for a while then came up with not supported and reset to off. But after trying for a third time, the app says it is on and set for the max of 40degC. The settings have stayed on after having the App on and off a number of times. So I'll see if it is still set okay tomorrow.

I'll report back on what I'm advised by Tesla Service.

I'm advised by Tesla the COP with variable activation temperature feature should be available on my M3, however, there is a firmware bug preventing it from working (i.e. to be able to change the activation temperature). A fix for the COP bug should be available in a future firmware update.

Bottom line for others experiencing the same issue, as I understand it, be patient. It appears the issue is on Tesla's buglist and will eventually be resolved. (fingers crossed the fix is in 2023.4 or whatever the next release is).

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Unrelated, but worth mentioning here. My Cabin Overheat Protection won't activate at all unless I've been in the car that morning, or unless I've had the car precondition the cabin on the schedule feature that morning. Not cool, after all this time spent working from home.