TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cabin Overheat Protection

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by balzary, Jun 8, 2018.

1. balzary

balzary Member

Wow, such a cool feature. Today is the first day I've parked it in the sun all day and I've got to say very cool that it can automatically cool itself off when needed! Highest it's reached is 45c / 113F, well at least that I've seen anyway. It was back down to 35c / 95F before.

Very impressed!

• Like x 1
  2. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

Nice! What software version are you running?

I've been mine reach up to 140F inside before, so this would be very nice to have. I would normally leave the windows slightly open but people tend to smoke at our work parking lot near my Model 3.

3. balzary

balzary Member

I don't recall seeing an option to turn it off or on, so it must be enabled in the background. Version 2018.20.5

Just watched it do it on the app, it hit 47c / 116.6F and it started cooling down, pretty quickly too at that!

4. goto10

goto10 Member

That's actually kind of an annoying feature if you don't want it and it's really auto-enabled. Though there have been multiple false reports of it before so I'm going to have to see for myself if I observe it.

Car cabins can handle getting up to 130+ so I'd like to be able to choose whether I want to spend my battery power making the cabin human-comfortable when not actually occupied by humans.

• Like x 1
  5. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

It’s meant to be a safety feature in case someone forgets there is a child or animal in the car. It doesn’t cool enough to keep the cabin comfortable, but enough to keep alive whatever is unintentionally in it.

6. goto10

goto10 Member

Yeah, I get that. I guess I should have said human-survivable.:) My kids are old enough to get themselves out and I don't travel with pets so I'd still like to have an option to disable the feature since I've already been in one situation where I needed to leave the car in the heat for an extended period of time 115 miles from the nearest Supercharger and needed to conserve as much range as possible for the return trip home. It's a toggle on the Model S so I'd be kind of surprised if it's enabled on the Model 3 without a similar toggle.

• Like x 1
  7. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I like the feature, even though there are no pets or infants/toddlers in the mix, simply because I feel like it extends the life of my very expensive electronic components. Especially considering that my Model S is no longer under warranty.

8. SDKoala

SDKoala Member

Yes, but like everything, we should be given the ability to choose.

• Like x 2
  9. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

You also want it running to protect the electronics from getting fried; might make either the large S/X screen or the 3's screen last longer.

But it is optional on the S and X:

upload_2018-6-8_16-1-9.png

Perhaps one more thing that's not in the GUI yet for the 3?

10. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

There was a hidden menu in a previous version which did not see wide distribution where the overheat settings were accessible but that was disabled in the very next release. I'd expect some of these settings will eventually find themselves in the GUI. I don't necessary mind having it enabled right now but I would like the option to disable it if I wanted to in order to save a little bit on range. On a day like today with my Model 3 parked at work in direct sunlight the Tesla app would normally report the interior temp to be somewhere around 140 degrees but right now it's only a balmy 105 inside the cabin.

• Like x 1
  11. goto10

goto10 Member

This is why I'm a little dubious that the feature is there but the UI option to control it is not as we already know the UI exists.

Mine is currently in full sun with an 85F outside temp and an internal temp of 119 but has lost 6 miles of range in the past 5 hours so it's possible some of that has gone to cabin cooling. I would expect it to be 130+ in these conditions.

• Informative x 1
  12. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

It's there, certainly, in the touchscreen menus for Security and Safety, but why not in the phone app? Wouldn't it make sense to be able to control it remotely, even more so that general cabin climate? I suppose we could already have arranged for it from the app by simply turning on climate control and setting it for whatever temperature we want, except that the scale only goes up to about 28C/82F.

• Like x 1
  13. RayK

RayK Member

It may be released in a future update to the app. Cabin Overheat protection was recently added so it might take awhile for it to show up in the app.

14. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

I heard some in OC saying that this feature has used as much as 30 miles of range per day during the recent SoCal heat wave.

15. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

But Model S has had it for a year or two, right? It's not there in the app for my Model S either.

16. bolton2160

bolton2160 Member

Yes, I"m in the High Desert and lost 21 miles during a full 8 hour day at the office in full sun.

17. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

What temperature does it keep the cabin when it is turned on?

18. chickensworth

chickensworth Member

i've lost 40-45 miles a day parked in the Las Vegas sun uncovered with overheat on. i've been testing out the 'fan only' option the last 2 days and it's much better... cabin at 120ish and losing about 10-20 miles. would love the ability to activate overheat from the app AND be able to adjust the temp at which it activates... at 105, it's just constantly running.

19. Solor

Solor Member

This needs to be weighed against the extra use of the air-conditioner compressor and whether the cost of this out weighs the cost of any electronics you are saving.

• Like x 1
  20. fr100

fr100 Member

I lost 20 miles today with 105 degrees overheat protection, over 6 hours parked in 100 degrees with sunshade and partial tree shade.