Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California EV Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dumb question alert:

I am about to apply for the CA rebate ($2500). My gross income that were filed in April of this year qualifies me for the rebate and carpool. When I file next year (2019) I will probably be over the income restriction. I am guessing if CA audits me for my income I can send them this years filing where I am under the income restriction and be ok?

So when you submit the rebate you fill out an IRS form which authorizes the CVRP people to request your 1040 from the IRS. I am not sure if everyone has to submit that form or only those who are "pre-selected" at the time of application (if the latter, then I guess we were one of the *lucky* ones). The FAQs seem to indicate they select for income verification at the time of application.

It's for pulling the 1040 from the 2017 tax year so you should be fine.

You only need to provide income verification if you are pre-selected (and you do not need to fill out the IRS form unless you are pre-selected). CVRP will review the current tax filing so it will review the 2017 filing until April 2019.

If you are filing now, you should not have any issues.

1. Except for rental, public, and car share fleets, no single entity is eligible to receive more than two CVRP rebates either via direct purchase and/or lease as of January 1, 2015. All rebates issued prior to this date do not count toward the two–rebate limit. Individuals or businesses that have met the rebate limit with two purchases or leases of non–fuel–cell electric vehicles may apply for one additional rebate for a fuel–cell electric vehicle. Rental and car share fleets are subject to limits of 20 per calendar year. Public fleets are subject to limits of 30 per calendar year. Applicants submitting on behalf of a trust will have that vehicle counted towards their rebate limit.

I did not realize that there are two CVRP limit per single entity. I have leased BMW i3 for last since 1/1/2016 ..OMG this is such a bummer.

Anyone know a way around this?

@jchau, see you are in soCal in a highly populated area and before filing for the Calif rebate you might want to reconsider if you plan to apply for DMV's HOV stickers. Pretty sure you can apply for only one or the other unless your in a very low income bracket.

@jchau, see you are in soCal in a highly populated area and before filing for the Calif rebate you might want to reconsider if you plan to apply for DMV's HOV stickers. Pretty sure you can apply for only one or the other unless your in a very low income bracket.
$150K single and $300K joint tax return.
Is 150K considered very low income bracket now? :(:(:(

• Funny
Reactions: SD_Engnr and ord3r
There's a purple now? I thought it was just red?

Also, it's crazy to think how 150k isn't enough to buy a home these days!
Well it's enough, in some areas :)

yes the new stickers are purple, they expire a year after the red ones. Technically they are supposed to be issued for registrants come January. I was thinking to apply on the 28th to be sure I get purple. Might be better to just wait for the second though?