Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wait for new 3 or get discounted inventory 3

new 3 or inventory 3

• new 3

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • inventory 3

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yikes, the fit and finish of that rear armrest material is horrendous.
Is this comment in reaction to what kinda looks like folds/bumps/creases in the leather?

img_4325-png.976504

If so, that’s just an optical illusion from the way some shadows are hitting the armrest.

You can see at 9:50 in this vid:

Reactions: Mayer
Thanks for the input here! Are you still waiting for further discount now? or you are leaning towards waiting for new 3 until next 3 hoping the price got cheaper?

I am thinking of getting the rwd, inventory or new though as this is for a daily commuter. Only addon I need is the white interior.
Update on my local inventory:

After posting above that RWD inventory reached $36,220, prices have increased to above $37,500, and inventory dropped from 19 to 8 in six days.
Hopefully inventory is replenished and pricing comes back down.
I’m waiting for reply on whether funding remains for Pennsylvania’s $2,000 state rebate program; the guy assigned to answer questions on the state rebate program is on vacation until 9/28.

If state rebate program remains and new inventory with $36k pricing returns, we may still wait for Highland. Vehicle is for my 24 year old daughter who doesn’t earn enough for the full $7,500 tax credit so the PA tax rebate is enticing, and will not last.

So tough decision unless Tesla decides to reduce pricing further as Highland approaches.

Finally, my daughter and I both like the Highland updates, especially the new front end and “TESLA” on back in lieu of T logo; small details though, compared to likely $5k to $7k price differential.

🤔

Yikes, the fit and finish of that rear armrest material is horrendous.
Is this comment in reaction to what kinda looks like folds/bumps/creases in the leather?

My eyes agree. It's that every edge of the fabric is not a straight line. The top edge under the man's elbow is the worst... looks like an eighth grade sewing project, but the edges next to the cupholders also look a bit lumpy.

I was in the same boat. I like most of the changes in the M3 Highland (except the stalk delete).

But… when the prices dropped to $36,220 ($35,720 after the referral discount) I pulled the trigger.

Also I keep hearing people say the M3 Highland is going to cost less. I don’t think there’s any evidence of that. It will cost Tesla less to make… but in most markets it’s more expensive than the M3. That’s a smart move by Tesla because it increases per unit profit margins.

Reactions: ucmndd
Also I keep hearing people say the M3 Highland is going to cost less. I don’t think there’s any evidence of that. It will cost Tesla less to make…

I think we can very confidently assume that Tesla has made some significant cost reductions. They will still seek to sell it for whatever the market allows, but this will increase margins and allow them to drop prices even lower if needed.

I find it exciting to think about the next sedan and what they'll do to shave prices even lower. I assume they'll use the same drive units just because volume already being produced for the 3/Y. 50kWh batteries, perhaps? 2 doors instead of 4? Smaller wheels? Lose some cameras?

As for the Highland vs Today's Model 3... to each his own. I like the Model 3 today. I like the model 3 with USS right before they extended the dash trim to the front doors and removed data from the USB ports even better. So far, my experience has been that each iteration has it's pros and cons... add a new feature and remove another. It's definitely not always better. For me, none of the changes they've made with the Highland make up for the loss of stalks.

I was in the same boat. I like most of the changes in the M3 Highland (except the stalk delete).

But… when the prices dropped to $36,220 ($35,720 after the referral discount) I pulled the trigger.

Also I keep hearing people say the M3 Highland is going to cost less. I don’t think there’s any evidence of that. It will cost Tesla less to make… but in most markets it’s more expensive than the M3. That’s a smart move by Tesla because it increases per unit profit margins.
I’m also planning to get an M3P either next week or by December. Do these cars have USS? Do auto park and summon work?

If you can wait until Jan 1st, 2024 it'll be a point of sale discount as oppose to tax credit. If you don't need the car now, just hold out since the older model 3 will tank further in value. In 6 months these RWD model 3 will be below 30k. It's just simple market forces pushing down the price.

2023 Model 3 RWD: 40,240 (MSRP)
2024 model 3 RWD: 40,240 + 1000 (it went up 1000 euros for the EU market) = 41240 - 7500 at the point of sale = 33,740..

The model 3 you buy today with discount will be 30k or less in 6 months. Is it worth losing 10k in 7 months? You decide for yourself.

The new EV tax credit is also income-limited:
  • $300,000 for married couples filing jointly
  • $225,000 for heads of households
  • $150,000 for all other filers

Reactions: cdub
If you can wait until Jan 1st, 2024 it'll be a point of sale discount as oppose to tax credit. If you don't need the car now, just hold out since the older model 3 will tank further in value. In 6 months these RWD model 3 will be below 30k. It's just simple market forces pushing down the price.

2024 model 3 RWD: 40,240 + 1000 (it went up 1000 euros for the EU market) = 41240 - 7500 at the point of sale = 33,740..

The model 3 you buy today with discount will be 30k or less in 6 months. Is it worth losing 10k in 7 months? You decide for yourself.

2024 also sees increased requirements for battery components and critical minerals sourcing to qualify. It remains to be seen which Tesla models will still qualify and whether for no credit, half, or full credit.

Reactions: msm859 and jsmay311

Point of sale tax credit does not cause M3 RWD value to "tank" by 10K. All it does is cause the buyer to get the tax credit up front instead of getting it on their tax return. Excluding delivery fees, taxes, and all the other stuff just to simplify the calculation, someone who paid 40K for a 2023 M3 RWD gets 7500 at tax time so their net cost was 32500. Meanwhile, if M3 RWD Highland costs 32500 with POS tax credit already applied, then the price paid by the buyer is exactly the same. The only question we don't know about it how much Highland will actually be priced at in the US.

Point of sale tax credit does not cause M3 RWD value to "tank" by 10K. All it does is cause the buyer to get the tax credit up front instead of getting it on their tax return. Excluding delivery fees, taxes, and all the other stuff just to simplify the calculation, someone who paid 40K for a 2023 M3 RWD gets 7500 at tax time so their net cost was 32500. Meanwhile, if M3 RWD Highland costs 32500 with POS tax credit already applied, then the price paid by the buyer is exactly the same. The only question we don't know about it how much Highland will actually be priced at in the US.
It's not a tax tax credit it's a point of sale discount. Big differences. Do you know how instant rebate works? That's how the EV credit is going to be next year.

It may or may not cause the RWD bought today to tank 10k in 6 months but you can bet it'll tank. No one in their right mind will buy a 2023 Model 3 vs 2024 Highland without a significant discount. The new price for the highland will be cheaper than the already discounted Model 3. Anything else you want to add is just coping.

Edit: op already bought a model 3. This convo is irrelevant now.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
Another factor that I’ve been reading about with regard to the tax credit being applied at the time of sale in 2024 is whether the credit is still income dependent.

Some sources suggest that it remains income dependent so if you did not qualify for $7500 tax credit received at the point of sale, you will have to make up the difference when you pay your taxes.

Another source suggested that the dealer will get the credit, so your income will no longer matter and everybody will be able to qualify for the $7500

I’ve been looking to help my 24 year old daughter get into a M3 and she doesn’t earn enough money to offset the tax and earn the $7500 credit. Instead she would only get about $3000.

So hopefully dealers capture the entire $7,500 credit in 2024 and it gets passed on to consumers without regard to earnings or tax liability.

Does anybody have any knowledge on this issue?

Reactions: cdub