Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wait for new 3 or get discounted inventory 3

new 3 or inventory 3

• new 3

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • inventory 3

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i live in bay area CA and i need to get a model 3 rwd for my daily commute. i have test driven both m3 and mY extensively and prefers the handling of m3.

question is: should i get the discount inventory m3 for around 37k before tax, or wait for the refreshed 3 to come out next year?

i don’t qualify for any rebates or tax credits due to income limit.

any advice?

i live in bay area CA and i need to get a model 3 rwd for my daily commute. i have test driven both m3 and mY extensively and prefers the handling of m3.

question is: should i get the discount inventory m3 for around 37k before tax, or wait for the refreshed 3 to come out next year?

i don’t qualify for any rebates or tax credits due to income limit.

any advice?
Do you like the new features of the Highland? Or are you happy with the current car?

There are probably going to be some killer deals on the old RWD before the new one comes out. Personally I'm glad I got my Y when I did and not before the refresh (admittedly Y refresh is way further out).

I tried the on the wheel turn signals on a model S and I do NOT like it. Too much fiber pressure to push it and not as comfortable with my hands.

Plus there's a chance Highland cars are more expensive. But they could be cheaper. Who knows.

There are some really good deals on the current models out there in inventory.

The Highland refresh has some nice features, but getting rid of the stalks is a deal breaker for me. It also loses the rear middle seat pull down cupholders, which my kids really like.

On the flip side, I've heard that on Jan 1 the tax credit becomes a retail point of sale discount, meaning it doesn't matter your income, it'll just be an extra $7,500 off. I haven't personally confirmed this... but read it from someone on these forums.

There's no guarantees though... come Jan 1 prices could all spike due to the new tax credit and demand.

Personally - I like today's Model 3 and wouldn't gamble with waiting around. The inventory discounts are deep and won't be here after the refresh. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

On the flip side, I've heard that on Jan 1 the tax credit becomes a retail point of sale discount, meaning it doesn't matter your income, it'll just be an extra $7,500 off. I haven't personally confirmed this... but read it from someone on these forums.
Income limits still apply. You will owe it back when you file your taxes if you claim the credit at time of sale and you don’t qualify. Or owe the balance if your tax liability is below $7500.

It also loses the rear middle seat pull down cupholders, which my kids really like.
It still has them. It’s just the whole middle section folds down including the headrest.

IMG_4325.png

(Screenshot from Out of Spec Reviews video)

I’m in the same conundrum.
I’ve been watching pricing closely.
Inventory RWD will reduce by $400 every third day but bottom out at $36,220; never lower. I thought maybe it would go to $35,820 if no one bought that inventory car but I think Tesla just increases the price by $1,200 or $1,600, and the cycle begins again.
I was also hoping the end of third quarter would trigger deeper discounts but nothing has changed all month.
Also, AWD inventory disappeared but was replenished mid September.

Here are my notes:

Special Order:
$40,240 M3 RWD non-inventory
$47,240 M3 AWD non-inventory

Inventory RWD:
$37,830 for RWD before tax
$37,420 RWD
$37,120 RWD blue
$37,530 RWD Grey
$37,020 RWD Grey 9/9/23
$36,620 RWD Grey 9/11/23 (+ $1,640)
$36,220 RWD Grey 9/13/23
19 left on 9/18

Inventory AWD:
$43,870 for AWD Black before tax
$43,320 AWD Red
$44,770 AWD Grey w/ silver wheels
$44,880 AWD Grey
9 left on 9/18

$47,920 M3P

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
Also, there is plenty of online media reports (rumor) that Highland pricing may be lower and even as low as $35k.

This persists despite Highland price points in China and Europe being same or higher than current US prices for special order current M3 prices ($40,240).

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
I’m in the same conundrum.
I’ve been watching pricing closely.
Inventory RWD will reduce by $400 every third day but bottom out at $36,220; never lower. I thought maybe it would go to $35,820 if no one bought that inventory car but I think Tesla just increases the price by $1,200 or $1,600, and the cycle begins again.
I was also hoping the end of third quarter would trigger deeper discounts but nothing has changed all month.
Also, AWD inventory disappeared but was replenished mid September.

Here are my notes:

Special Order:
$40,240 M3 RWD non-inventory
$47,240 M3 AWD non-inventory

Inventory RWD:
$37,830 for RWD before tax
$37,420 RWD
$37,120 RWD blue
$37,530 RWD Grey
$37,020 RWD Grey 9/9/23
$36,620 RWD Grey 9/11/23 (+ $1,640)
$36,220 RWD Grey 9/13/23
19 left on 9/18

Inventory AWD:
$43,870 for AWD Black before tax
$43,320 AWD Red
$44,770 AWD Grey w/ silver wheels
$44,880 AWD Grey
9 left on 9/18

$47,920 M3P
Thanks for the input here! Are you still waiting for further discount now? or you are leaning towards waiting for new 3 until next 3 hoping the price got cheaper?

I am thinking of getting the rwd, inventory or new though as this is for a daily commuter. Only addon I need is the white interior.

Stalkless would be a deal breaker for me

For this I’m going to be keeping an eye on the development of the aftermarket stalks that Enhance Auto are working on.

There’s already one in the works for the S/X, and they say they plan to work on one for the 3 Highland as soon as they can get a vehicle.

Stalkless is a deal breaker for me too. I've not tried the "buttons on wheel" turn signals but I don't like the concept after my muscle memory has been trained for the last 50 years to flip up, down or push/pull (for high beams).

I also generally subscribe to the philosophy of "first year model" having problems but admit that I sorta broke that tradition when I got my 3. Although I DID wait long enough to avoid getting the early hard suspension and low rear seats.

Also, there is plenty of online media reports (rumor) that Highland pricing may be lower and even as low as $35k.
This seems highly unlikely to me, at least at first. They may drop over time.

I picked up an inventory RWD a few weeks ago. No regrets. Great deals to be had right now and I have no interest in getting one of the first copies off the line of a major Tesla refresh.