Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California HOV Sticker on Used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I am new and this is my first post. Please let me know if I break etiquette and I will fix.

My cursory reading of the new California HOV sticker rules are that you can get a Red 3-year sticker on any Tesla not previously registered in California.

Could I get a red California sticker if I bough a used Model S in Las Vegas, NV or Scottsdale, AZ if the vehicle was never registered in California?

Thanks for any guidance!
-James

Hi everyone,

I am new and this is my first post. Please let me know if I break etiquette and I will fix.

My cursory reading of the new California HOV sticker rules are that you can get a Red 3-year sticker on any Tesla not previously registered in California.

Could I get a red California sticker if I bough a used Model S in Las Vegas, NV or Scottsdale, AZ if the vehicle was never registered in California?

Thanks for any guidance!
-James

Yes if never registered in CA for white stickers you can get red

Hi everyone,

Thanks for any guidance!
-James
Yep. No Californian who drives on freeways should buy used CA Teslas. Thanks for pointing this out. You are welcome to buy your used HOA-compatible Teslas in AZ.

Last edited:
I did this exact thing, bought a used S in Oregon - I called the DMV and asked them to run the VIN to see if it showed up in their system just to ensure that it would be eligible for the stickers.

I don't always trust carfax since they tend to have incorrect information on a frequent basis

I'm also hoping off until mid December to submit my application for the purple stickers - 1 more year is worth the wait

When I was looking for a used S - Portland and Seattle usually had a good selection as well as Utah and Denver

You should verify the entire ownership history on CarFax or DMV if you could to see if the car has had CA HOV stickers at any point in its life. For example, the car might have had one period registered in CA and then subsequently got sold to a non-CA state.

I've read one story on the Tesla forums of someone who bought out of state Tesla, and got a Red decal, but got a decal revocation letter months later citing that the car had CA HOV tags sometime in the past. The poor guy's title remains frozen (allegedly) from further renewal until he surrenders the red decal.