Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California I-680 Benicia-Martinez Bridge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I are driving tomorrow from San Diego to Napa Valley. I noticed that my trip takes us over the Benicia-Martinez Bridge on the I680. I do have a California Clean Air Decal, but I do not have a fasttrak transponder or account. I've tried researching online, but cannot find an answer. Do I need to pay the toll, and/or am I ok driving in the express lane?

It seems that the most simple is to pre-register your car and provide payment information:

fastrak.org

To pay a future toll, in advance of your crossing, please fill out the information below.​
Each time you cross a toll facility during the effective period, the tolls will be charged​
directly to your credit card. Set the effective period from one day, or up to thirty days​
in the future, based on your travel needs.​

Reactions: jboy210
My wife and I are driving tomorrow from San Diego to Napa Valley. I noticed that my trip takes us over the Benicia-Martinez Bridge on the I680. I do have a California Clean Air Decal, but I do not have a fasttrak transponder or account. I've tried researching online, but cannot find an answer. Do I need to pay the toll, and/or am I ok driving in the express lane?
If you don't have an account etc, you have 48 hours to pay online via lic plate tracking, otherwise they'll send you a bill. What do the decals have to do with not paying tolls?

• Funny
Reactions: israndy
EV's are not free, if that is what you are asking. You can use the car pool lane to receive a discount if you have the correct sticker and the correct number of passengers (n=3). To pay....the first page of their website: (hint: you can call or register online within 48 hours to pay online or wait for a bill.)

One-Time Payment​

Another pay-as-you-go option is a one-time payment. You have 48 hours to pay a toll after crossing the bridge. Payments can be made online, over the phone or in person by contacting the Customer Service Center. This is a good choice for rental vehicle users. Learn more about opening a short-term one-time payment account.

And, this:

Toll Invoice​

If no account exists when a toll crossing is made, FasTrak will send an invoice to the vehicle's registered owner. No extra fees will be added to the toll invoice if it is paid within 21 days. Unpaid toll invoices will escalate to toll evasion notices with additional penalties and fees.

Last edited:

Since your trip was last Sunday, let us know how it went.

For future drivers... they will bill you.
You need to make sure you cross in the carpool lane to get the discounted toll.

If you had a transponder you can drive for free in the express lanes.

Per Clean Air Vehicles - FasTrak...

To use an express lane with your CAV you must use a FasTrak Flex or FasTrak CAV toll tag.

I-880 and SR-237: If you have 3+ people in your vehicle and are using a FasTrak Flex or FasTrak CAV toll tag, set the switch to position 3+ to travel toll free.

I-580: FasTrak Flex or FasTrak CAV toll tag, eligible CAVs can travel in the express lanes toll free regardless of the number of passengers in the vehicle. If you are using a FasTrak Flex toll tag, be sure to switch to position 2 or position 3+ on your toll tag.

I-680 Contra Costa: If you have two or more people in your vehicle and are using a FasTrak Flex or FasTrak CAV toll tag, set the switch to position 2 or 3+ to travel toll free.

I-680 Sunol: Eligible CAVs can travel in the I-680 Sunol express lane toll free, regardless of the number of passengers. A FasTrak toll tag is not necessary. If you have a FasTrak CAV or Flex toll tag, set it to position 2 or position 3+ to avoid being charged.

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
Since your trip was last Sunday, let us know how it went.

For future drivers... they will bill you.
You need to make sure you cross in the carpool lane to get the discounted toll.

If you had a transponder you can drive for free in the express lanes.

Per Clean Air Vehicles - FasTrak...

To use an express lane with your CAV you must use a FasTrak Flex or FasTrak CAV toll tag.

I-880 and SR-237: If you have 3+ people in your vehicle and are using a FasTrak Flex or FasTrak CAV toll tag, set the switch to position 3+ to travel toll free.

I-580: FasTrak Flex or FasTrak CAV toll tag, eligible CAVs can travel in the express lanes toll free regardless of the number of passengers in the vehicle. If you are using a FasTrak Flex toll tag, be sure to switch to position 2 or position 3+ on your toll tag.

I-680 Contra Costa: If you have two or more people in your vehicle and are using a FasTrak Flex or FasTrak CAV toll tag, set the switch to position 2 or 3+ to travel toll free.

I-680 Sunol: Eligible CAVs can travel in the I-680 Sunol express lane toll free, regardless of the number of passengers. A FasTrak toll tag is not necessary. If you have a FasTrak CAV or Flex toll tag, set it to position 2 or position 3+ to avoid being charged.
If you meet the person criteria, why do you need a transponder? Is this new in the last few years?

If you meet the person criteria, why do you need a transponder? Is this new in the last few years?
I assume it is for the automatic billing used in the FasTrak system. They charge you by the distance in the toll lanes you use, time of day, and the bridges you cross. Bridge tolls are not affected by having an EV.

My transponder beeps when I go under toll lane signs, through a toll booth, and under some overpasses. That also triggers cameras. If you move one lane over to the fast lane, the transponder does not beep and your drive does not show on your monthly FasTrak statement.

Last edited:
I assume it is for the automatic billing used in the FasTrak system. They charge you by the distance in the toll lanes you use, time of day, and the bridges you cross. Bridge tolls are not affected by having an EV.

My transponder beeps when I go under toll lane signs, through a toll booth, and under some overpasses. That also triggers cameras. If you move one lane over to the fast lane, the transponder does not beep and your drive does not show on your monthly FasTrak statement.
OK. I was getting Express Lanes confused with the regular Diamond Commuter Lanes. The later being just occupancy or sticker based.

The Express Lanes do need a transponder it appears.

OK. I was getting Express Lanes confused with the regular Diamond Commuter Lanes. The later being just occupancy or sticker based.

The Express Lanes do need a transponder it appears.

It looks like the Bay Area is replacing/augmenting the diamond lanes with the FasTrak lanes. This provided electronic enforcement of the lane restriction and electronic usage toll collection.

They have also been using FasTrak to replace human toll takers at bridges.

Although OP has probably already had their trip, regarding the Benicia-Martinez bridge - if one is a very occasional traveler, one does not have to do anything ahead or during with Fastrak. There is still the option of cash lanes, at least when I passed through last month about 40% of the lanes to the right side were dual cash/Fastrak lanes where you can pay to a human toll-taker.

Since I rarely travel the bridges, I am curious though if any of the Bay area bridges no longer have any cash lanes. I do have a regular Fastrak tag, and sometimes I roll slowly through the cash lane anyways because I worry my tag is not working (and forget that they have my licenses plate number pre-registered).

Since the thread has veered off into general Fastrak topics.... my Fastrak tag is at least 12 years old. It didn't beep, nor did the Fastrak booth flash any affirmation light, when I passed through the toll - I presume the battery is finally dead? Since I have all my cars' license plates registered, and am being billed that way anyway, is there any reason to send in for a new tag if I rarely ever use Fastrak?

Although OP has probably already had their trip, regarding the Benicia-Martinez bridge - if one is a very occasional traveler, one does not have to do anything ahead or during with Fastrak. There is still the option of cash lanes, at least when I passed through last month about 40% of the lanes to the right side were dual cash/Fastrak lanes where you can pay to a human toll-taker.

Since I rarely travel the bridges, I am curious though if any of the Bay area bridges no longer have any cash lanes. I do have a regular Fastrak tag, and sometimes I roll slowly through the cash lane anyways because I worry my tag is not working (and forget that they have my licenses plate number pre-registered).

Since the thread has veered off into general Fastrak topics.... my Fastrak tag is at least 12 years old. It didn't beep, nor did the Fastrak booth flash any affirmation light, when I passed through the toll - I presume the battery is finally dead? Since I have all my cars' license plates registered, and am being billed that way anyway, is there any reason to send in for a new tag if I rarely ever use Fastrak?

You need a FasTrak tag if you want to be charged the discounted rate at bridges or Express Lanes.

No bridge in the Bay Area accepts cash.

It is definitely more convenient to cruise through a tool booth at 25 mph and not have to worry about the plate reader. Also, I am an outlaw and don't have a front license plate since I think they look ugly ;) . I find that alone is worth getting an electronic FasTrac pass.

Reactions: 1100MCM
It is definitely more convenient to cruise through a tool booth at 25 mph and not have to worry about the plate reader. Also, I am an outlaw and don't have a front license plate since I think they look ugly ;) . I find that alone is worth getting an electronic FasTrac pass.
I don't have my front plate on either, is that needed for the plate reader? I think my tag is dead, but they were able to charge correctly via the license plate when I went through.

Usually there's no backup at the cash lanes at the odd times once a year or two that I cross. I do generally cruise, not stop, through a manned cash lane, though slower like 10 mph - primarily as a courtesy to the toll-taker, not to risk any extended limbs. But also if some big red alarm one day goes off because of the tag being dead, and I have to stop quickly and pay cash - apparently it's not needed anyways, but hard to change old habits.

You need a FasTrak tag if you want to be charged the discounted rate at bridges or Express Lanes.

No bridge in the Bay Area accepts cash.
Thanks for the update, correction then to my earlier post about seeing cash lanes on the Benicia-Martinez bridge the other week - it was the one time I didn't go through a cash lane.

I don't have my front plate on either, is that needed for the plate reader? I think my tag is dead, but they were able to charge correctly via the license plate when I went through.

Usually there's no backup at the cash lanes at the odd times once a year or two that I cross. I do generally cruise, not stop, through a manned cash lane, though slower like 10 mph - primarily as a courtesy to the toll-taker, not to risk any extended limbs. But also if some big red alarm one day goes off because of the tag being dead, and I have to stop quickly and pay cash - apparently it's not needed anyways, but hard to change old habits.
I assumed they needed both plates, but your experience says otherwise. But, they are required by California state law. I once got a fix-it ticket when parked for not having a front plate. :(

On the toll takers, I think that accident 4-5 years ago with a truck running through a toll booth hastened the push for no human toll takers.