Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California License Plates & Registration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long has this been taking on average?

I got my Model 3 on December 30th, so it's been 8 weeks now. I called Tesla and they said they sent the paperwork in on February 1st (why in the world does it take them a month??). I really want to get my HOV stickers too.

I got my car Sept 27th. I got my plates I believe in early December. But it is strange, I got a new Kia Niro EV on Jan 1st and the plates arrived in early February. Don’t know why Tesla is dragging their feet(Never mind, they always drag their feet).

I one Tesla in June during the Pandemic and one in Dec of 2019 just before. Both plates took forever. But I finally have them both.

Still waiting for my HOV stickers from Dec 2020 submission. Check hasn't even been cashed yet. The HOV I requested in Sep 2020 for the Audi E-Tron arrived like a month later. Go figure. I'm spent hours on the phone and in person with local DMV, state DMV, and office that actually handles the HOV stickers. Those people are working from home so it's a throw-up and to when paperwork is forwarded to them and when they get to it.

Side note: Since you're in Calif get the vinyl stick plate for the front FOR SURE !

https://licenseplatewrap.com/

I
t's a good thing you didn't get the plates sooner. You can get the NEW HOV stickers now that expire a year later !
https://licenseplatewrap.com/

delivered 12/29, still waiting, bay area...
Should not take this long. Did you receive the title yet (that is an indication DMV is processing it at least)? Make sure your delivery center send in the paperwork. If you can't reach someone calling the number for your delivery center, you can try to reach the general online chat support and have them help you track down if your paperwork was received and sent to DMV.
Customer Support

I took delivery in Colma. The timeline was:
12/31/2020 delivery, Colma Delivery center received my paperwork 1/4 via FedEx, title date 1/15 (post mark 1/28), got title 2/1, got plates and registration 2/11

How long has this been taking on average?

I got my Model 3 on December 30th, so it's been 8 weeks now. I called Tesla and they said they sent the paperwork in on February 1st (why in the world does it take them a month??). I really want to get my HOV stickers too.
How did you contact Tesla , my delivery was on Dec 29 and I am also waiting for my plates

How did you contact Tesla , my delivery was on Dec 29 and I am also waiting for my plates
I had this same issue.

Call your local tesla delivery center (who ever delivered or arranged delivery of your vehicle) choose options for delivery assistance and tell them the DMV is waiting for additional documentation. Tell them the dmv sent in a request in January and are still waiting for an update from Tesla.

I had this exact issue on my 12/29/21 delivery and DMV said they requested documents on 1/18 and are waiting for follow up. I pushed Tesla they confirmed via text a day or two later it was taken care of. 7 days later I called the DMV and asked if they had what they needed. They confirmed and even provided me the License Plate # on the phone. Good enough for HOV application.

Plates showed up like 3 days after that.

I'm on week 4 since delivery and hoping for my plate/registration soon. Want to order HOV sticker and personalized plates which will all take time.
Chat / Call the DMV they will confirm if any paperwork is still pending. Common with Tesla. They can also confirm your license plate if there are no issues so you can apply.

Others have applied with license plate left blank, or temp plates and they will also succeed IF your paperwork has already been processed.