Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California State Tax Refund to new owner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi gang,

I bought a new model 3 10 months back, and now have to sell it as I am moving to New York.
I wasnt eligible for the $2500 state refund as my income was above the threshold. My roommate wants to buy the car, and I was wondering if he will be eligible to utilize the state refund as his income is below the threshold.

I couldnt find any information online.

Thanks in advance

See the answer for “Is my vehicle eligible for rebate?” at FAQs

In case OP doesnt want to click the link:

==================

Your vehicle must:

• Be on the list of Eligible Vehicles.*
  • Be new as defined in the California Vehicle Code (CVC) section 430 and must be manufactured by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) or its authorized licensee. Vehicles considered new vehicles solely for determination of compliance with state emissions standards are not eligible.
  • Be registered as new in California. Vehicles may not be purchased, leased, or delivered out of state.
  • Have an odometer reading below 7,500 miles at the time of purchase or lease.
=================

Section 430 definiton as defined above:

A “new vehicle” is a vehicle constructed entirely from new parts that has never been the subject of a retail sale, or registered with the department, or registered with the appropriate agency or authority of any other state, District of Columbia, territory or possession of the United States, or foreign state, province, or country.

(Amended by Stats. 1994, Ch. 1253, Sec. 6. Effective January 1, 1995.)

=========================

"New" means "never titled to a consumer. By definition, once the car was titled in your name, it was no longer "new" . Even if you bought it and had it titled in your name, had it trucked without driving it directly to a storage area, and it sat there without a single mile more than when you bought it, it still would not be "new" by the definition that is used (even though most people would consider it a pretty new car).

So no, he wont get the california rebate, and cant apply for the federal tax credit either. So, if this is actually a friend, you would want to sell it to him / her for a price that reflects that they wont be able to get currently available incentives and rebates, in addition to the miles.