Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Joined the EV club, new Model 3 owner.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, new here. I too, until a year ago, like many I thought i would not buy an EV for a long time as I thought ICE cars were so much better.

That all change about a year ago when I was looking for a car for my daughter for college and prices of used cars were sky high...
I do care about saving the environment but that is not the reason why I bought an EV. I just wanted to buy the best car I could within my budget.
I started to look at cheap cars and I ended up getting a new Nissan LEAF which came loaded with a bunch of safety, automatic breaking, bling spot monitoring, aerial view cameras, lane departure warning, steering intervention and as a father I felt it would be a safer care for my daughter. On top of that with the local state credits and federal tax credit was the same price of an entry level corolla.
I was so impressed with the driving and handling of this car that when Tesla drop the prices the beginning of the year, I ended up putting an order in and bought the Model 3 RWD at $42,999 and since I took delivery before March it still qualifies for the full $7,500 tax credit + plus $2,250 state credit. It made it a no brainer. I figure I better hit the iron while it is hot.
I was worried about build quality as I seen some videos of even the 2023 model 3 having some issues, but I have to say I got a good one, at least the outside looks great and I love the white metalic paint, looks much better in person.
I did find some minor issues in the interior but at least they are in the rear, so they are not bothering me. I will point it out to Tesla eventually when I service the car.
I love how the car drives and handles and getting used to the large screen very quickly. I thought it was going to take me a while, but it's been surprisingly quick... although i did watch many videos :)
At first while driving I wish I had an option to control the amount of Force to be applied during regen breaking, however after driving it for a while I think Tesla has it down to be just right.
I ordered the fitted rubber mats and installed them, anything else is highly recommended?

Welcome! I just got a Model 3 last week too. Only mod I've made so far are the frunk struts so that it pops all the way open on it's own when unlocking. Only $15 and took literally 2 minutes to install.

Have you read through this thread yet?

way to burst my bobble... but thanks for the heads up... i guess I won't be doing anything... better safe than sorry... but it sounded like a very kewl mod :(

I just read through it. It's definitely the first time I've heard of that happening. Considering the thousands of these sold, I have to imagine there would be a ton more people writing about this if it were truly a pervasive issue. Buuuuut. In the interest of safety, I may just use one auto strut so at least one side of the frunk is still held up with the OEM strut.

My own personal opinion is, if this were actually something that was good for "4 years 50k miles" worth of time / usage, Tesla would have used similar struts on the hood. The hood is THIN.

My personal opinion is, the expensive auto struts would be a better choice if one was going to do that, since they have smooth travel and dont put a lot of force on popping it up. Its also not the only time I have read people having some sort of issue with them (and also with the auto struts as well).

Its not very difficult for me to open and close it manually, and certainly not enough to either spend a little money on cheap ones that might damage it, or expensive ones that might not open at some point or interact with some firmware update or other wierd.

Others have more risk tolerance for that type of thing though, and more power to everyone. Everyone should make their own choice based on their own risk tolerance, and how much they might want to deal with any issue that could arise.

Hi all, new here. I too, until a year ago, like many I thought i would not buy an EV for a long time as I thought ICE cars were so much better.

That all change about a year ago when I was looking for a car for my daughter for college and prices of used cars were sky high...
I do care about saving the environment but that is not the reason why I bought an EV. I just wanted to buy the best car I could within my budget.
I started to look at cheap cars and I ended up getting a new Nissan LEAF which came loaded with a bunch of safety, automatic breaking, bling spot monitoring, aerial view cameras, lane departure warning, steering intervention and as a father I felt it would be a safer care for my daughter. On top of that with the local state credits and federal tax credit was the same price of an entry level corolla.
I was so impressed with the driving and handling of this car that when Tesla drop the prices the beginning of the year, I ended up putting an order in and bought the Model 3 RWD at $42,999 and since I took delivery before March it still qualifies for the full $7,500 tax credit + plus $2,250 state credit. It made it a no brainer. I figure I better hit the iron while it is hot.
I was worried about build quality as I seen some videos of even the 2023 model 3 having some issues, but I have to say I got a good one, at least the outside looks great and I love the white metalic paint, looks much better in person.
I did find some minor issues in the interior but at least they are in the rear, so they are not bothering me. I will point it out to Tesla eventually when I service the car.
I love how the car drives and handles and getting used to the large screen very quickly. I thought it was going to take me a while, but it's been surprisingly quick... although i did watch many videos :)
At first while driving I wish I had an option to control the amount of Force to be applied during regen breaking, however after driving it for a while I think Tesla has it down to be just right.
I ordered the fitted rubber mats and installed them, anything else is highly recommended?
Congrats and welcome to the club

Reactions: Ital
a33f03c17166038d73f8eafc9803c513.jpg

Reactions: BitJam and Ital
Congratulations on your purchase. That is indeed a great deal.

The older 3's used to give us the option of how much regen braking to use. I don't like how we can't turn it off now when the roads are slippery. I had 3 winters in my 2019 and this is my first in my 2022. I do NOT like how it handles the snow compared to the 2019. Be careful if you're in bad weather!

Reactions: Ital
Congratulations on your purchase. That is indeed a great deal.

The older 3's used to give us the option of how much regen braking to use. I don't like how we can't turn it off now when the roads are slippery. I had 3 winters in my 2019 and this is my first in my 2022. I do NOT like how it handles the snow compared to the 2019. Be careful if you're in bad weather!
Are we not able to turn regen braking off? Also when regen braking is off, when we hit the brakes does it regen at all? Thanks!

Are we not able to turn regen braking off? Also when regen braking is off, when we hit the brakes does it regen at all? Thanks!

No, No tesla model 3 (or Y), new, or old, could turn the regen OFF. Older ones have a setting to turn it DOWN, and newer ones do not have any regen setting at all (regen is set at a standard rate by the car with no setting for it at all).

So, there is no setting for regen off, even if you have an older model 3, If it has a setting to turn it down, it still regens some, just less.

Things do change between firmware updates. Bjørn Nyland did a video while back testing regen in snow with positive results. Don't ask which one, he makes so many of them.
There is no way to turn off regen that I'm aware of. On our 2018 MX, you can set regen on low or standard but on our Y I don't recall seeing regen adjustment. Matter of fact, a recent update, allows you to simulate regen when the battery may be fully charged or cold.

1677600298822.png

There is no regen when you apply the brakes. That is strictly a hydraulic system attached to the friction brakes, on a Tesla anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin and Ital
Things do change between firmware updates. Bjørn Nyland did a video while back testing regen in snow with positive results. Don't ask which one, he makes so many of them.
There is no way to turn off regen that I'm aware of. On our 2018 MX, you can set regen on low or standard but on our Y I don't recall seeing regen adjustment. Matter of fact, a recent update, allows you to simulate regen when the battery may be fully charged or cold.

View attachment 912284

There is no regen when you apply the brakes. That is strictly a hydraulic system attached to the friction brakes, on a Tesla anyway.
Thank you! very informative!
I saw the option about having the car apply the brakes to simulate regen, but personally I would never set that as it would just wear the brakes out.
Yeah, from what I could tell the car was not regening when I would brake as the "Green" regen bar did not move.
I know that in the Nissan Leaf if you hit the brakes the regen bar would get much larger and I saw the same in the Toyota Prius prime, thus i asked.
The Toyota Prius Prime btw is super-efficient with both gas and ev mode. I just hate the way it looks and drives...

Reactions: tm1v2