Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Tesla Sedan Factory: Where?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_13947059

At the 5 p.m. meeting, the council will consider Mayor Bob Foster's request to authorize $28.6 million in financial incentives to attract a new Tesla electric car manufacturing plant to the former Boeing 717 production site at 3860 Lakewood Blvd. north of Long Beach Airport. Long Beach is competing with neighboring Downey as a finalist for the plant, which is expected to create 1,000 to 1,200 jobs.

Steve Zeltzer of the California Coalition for Workers Memorial Day said that Tesla previously announced plans to possibly build an auto assembly plant at the Downey toxic dump site despite knowing that injured workers continue to get ill and sick from the contamination on the site. He joined former Downey worker Steve Basile and several other members of the injured workers coalition in expressing concern that Tesla, which is non-union, may yet be planning to build an “green” electric car assembly plant at the toxic site with a US government DOE energy efficiency loan of $465 million.

If there is some truth to the toxic site any $ savings TM would gain by building in Downey is not worth the PR and other potential liabilities down the road. This is even more Significant for a green car company!

Well again they haven't really said anything and I always figured they were using Downey to leverage a better deal out of Long Beach, but now it looks like there are protests.

Raging Grannies at Dealership ProtestingTesla's Plans to Build on Downey Toxic Dump Site : Indybay

p1090052.jpg

In my opinion they really should go with Long Beach. Looking at that article it seems the owner of the Downey site just lost a suit against the workers for slander on them describing the site as toxic. Seems to me Tesla doesn't want this kind of heat?

Cobos

These new details explains why Tesla has been slow on the development of the Model S. I too agree that this kind of press is not good for a "Green" company.

I think Tesla Motors should find a new location as quickly as possible because production time lines for the "S" may get pushed out longer. Any further delay may give Fisker, Chevy, BMW and others an edge over Tesla Motors.

Tesla may have re-ignited the push for electrical car with the roadster but I think any delays with the Model S may really Tesla Motors.

Seems to be a bit of ill feeling about using this site...
Is this just a few loonies that think the site is toxic b/c of annecdotes (Jimmy worked there, then he got sick, so it must be the site is toxic....), or is there some scientific evidence that there is really significant toxicity of the site? Hard to believe Kaiser would take a risk like that if they believed there was some sort of hazard.

It sure is funny to think that they feel this will have ANY bearing on the decision. To assume that tests and checks will not be done at the site before a deal is made is lunacy.

Not to mention that the songs are terrible.

NUMI is far too big and too expensive. End of story. Would you buy a 7 bedroom home for only you and your significant other just because it was at a great location? NO

P.S. They were picketing the HQ the day before, but got no response, so they moved to the store.

I couldn't find any one link that told the whole story. But reviewing several sites, I see that several past employees and medical professionals are calling for a study of the site. Barring any official study, the reactionary element of the public refer to it as a toxic dump site, alleging that NASA dumped radioactive material there and the developer is now covering it up.

They may be right. But then again, they may be wrong. Of course there would be an EPA study before Tesla Motors moved in. But my opinion is that Tesla should publicly push Downey to perform the study before any commitment is made. That would be good press for Tesla, sweeten the deal, and prevent any more delays if it is found to be toxic.

Of course that wouldn't silence the critics if it is found to be safe. But there will always be that faction.

The stories I heard go back to WWII and even less regard for the soil than Nasa.

By the way, If you watch US TV there was a Christmas commercial for Audi where the lights for one house was just the cars in the drive.

That was shot there.