Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calipher painting Pros and Cons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am considering having the Caliphers on our X painted Tesla Red since only Performance X's have the option to do so when you configure. I didn't want the Performance version, however, I like the look of red caliphers. Are there any disadvantages to painting versus not painting them?

First, it's a caliper. No "h" in that word.

How Brake Calipers Work

Second, the caliper on your X will be painted black. So you're really asking if there's a benefit to painting it red vs. black, and the answer is, only if you like to see them glistening red behind your wheels. :cool:;)
Thank you for the spelling correction. I know how they work, but thank you again!

Thank you for the spelling correction. I know how they work, but thank you again!
You're welcome. Sorry for the "how it works" link. That was more for spelling confirmation than anything else. ;)

Not worth it.
The extra weight will reduce the range of the car.
May also negatively impact the coefficient of drag.
Wait. So red paint weighs more than black paint? :p

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Asterix777
I did mine and love the look. I used 1/2' brush and a small brush for certain areas. First coat had me wondering if I should have done it but the 2nd coat went on like glass and no brush marks at all. You couldn't tell it wasn't sprayed on. Just be careful on certain areas. Once you mix it you have 3 maybe 3.5 hours to work with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Temperature-L...&qid=1462730339&sr=8-3&keywords=caliper+paint
I also got hi temp decals from this guy g1_vinyldecals on eBay Contact him and he will take care of you.

Attachments

• IMG_3670.JPG
    IMG_3670.JPG
    412.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3687.JPG
    IMG_3687.JPG
    716.1 KB · Views: 132
My Caliphers are gray.
Sorry. I don't know what a califer is. :rolleyes::p;)

Well, there you go. Sorry. I was going by what they look to be in the design studio ( :oops: I should know better!) and what I thought I saw on a couple X's waiting for delivery at the local Service Center.

Nothing has changed though. Painting them red is purely aesthetic and will not impede their function. Which is why you said you wanted to do it in the first place so have at it. As others have pointed out, powder coating is likely more durable but a simple caliper paint kit will work too.