Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Call from Tesla for new 400 mile range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And just got a call that after all this time and a delivery set for Sunday... that mine can't be upgraded to LR+. Either have to take the LR as-is with no upgrade path or order fresh from the factory... hub caps and all. Based on VIN availability, I suspect a build date of Feb 4th.

That's just ridiculous! What explanation did they give you?

If you think it was built around 2/4 that would have been within two weeks of the announcement of the LR+... I thought the whole idea was that these cars were already being manufactured and it was just a naming update. This would seem to go against that.

Did they offer to make this right for you? What are you going to do?

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either. And that estimate of 2/4 is when I had an MVPA show up with VIN. Within days of that I had talked to someone there (I had 3 weeks of travel coming up) and they pinged the car to see it was "out of manufacturing, sitting in a lot in California near the plant waiting for transport".

The explanation was that they thought it would get the upgrade (was originally told something like it was on the list of VINs getting the upgrade) but now "something about a part code" means they "can't upgrade the firmware".

No offer to make it right, just the option of take this one or wait for a new build - no idea if that means skipping to the front of the line in terms of build, but some indication it wouldn't be just placing a new order. I do know this one has a paint defect (dime-sized bubble in the paint right over the driver-side door) and a hood slightly out of alignment, so I guess I'm leaning towards rolling the dice on a new build since who knows how long the car would sit in service to fix those two items and I haven't even fully inspected the car yet. Going in tomorrow afternoon to look at it again and discuss the options... had planned on taking a trip in it later this month. :(

That's just ridiculous! What explanation did they give you?

If you think it was built around 2/4 that would have been within two weeks of the announcement of the LR+... I thought the whole idea was that these cars were already being manufactured and it was just a naming update. This would seem to go against that.

Did they offer to make this right for you? What are you going to do?

Aren't they still delivering the specs that were listed at the time of ordering?

Aren't they still delivering the specs that were listed at the time of ordering?
My only thought is perhaps this was an earlier build that was declined (paint defect, etc) and then passed on to me? Will hopefully know more tomorrow.

Edit: sorry, I think I misunderstood. Yes, I think it would be delivered as ordered, except if that's the case it's been sitting there for two weeks with the promise of LR+ just to have that rug pulled out from under us. This would be the second time we've gotten close to delivery just to have expectations change.

Last edited:
I'm one of those people. Car has been across town since the original delivery date of the 22nd when they told us an hour before delivery that we couldn't get it until after the 7th. My new delivery date is now March 8th.

yea really messed up, especially as you were delayed to the 7th, presumably due to the transition to LR+. Was your order spec updated to LR+?

• Love
Reactions: John J
So I wound up getting the car yesterday. It does have the "F" revision battery pack, it was officially built February 3rd, so it seems like it should have nearly all the same hardware creating the efficiency gains in the LR+, but something about my particular battery pack's management system means the firmware can't be upgraded to officially become a LR+. Getting the wheels I wanted (without dealing with a swap and another 4-6 week wait for a new car) is worth it to me. As I said previously, the car was what I ordered and I'm fine with that... I'm not the type that would rather wait endlessly on rumors or tiny gains. I would certainly love to have the LR+ after having waited an additional 2 weeks for 0 reason in the end, but not at the expense of the wheels and an even longer wait! So I suppose "annoyed" with the process is the best way to describe my experience.

Reactions: Robotpedlr
So I wound up getting the car yesterday. It does have the "F" revision battery pack, it was officially built February 3rd, so it seems like it should have nearly all the same hardware creating the efficiency gains in the LR+, but something about my particular battery pack's management system means the firmware can't be upgraded to officially become a LR+. Getting the wheels I wanted (without dealing with a swap and another 4-6 week wait for a new car) is worth it to me. As I said previously, the car was what I ordered and I'm fine with that... I'm not the type that would rather wait endlessly on rumors or tiny gains. I would certainly love to have the LR+ after having waited an additional 2 weeks for 0 reason in the end, but not at the expense of the wheels and an even longer wait! So I suppose "annoyed" with the process is the best way to describe my experience.

That’s the problem with Tesla constantly updating their vehicles throughout the year. It will cause disappointment if you just miss out on an update. But I still think it’s better than dealing with other manufacturers who barely update their vehicles on an annual basis. As long as Tesla delivers what was ordered at a minimum, we really can’t complain.... Other than Tesla sometimes giving us false hope. Communication isn’t their strong suit.

Reactions: ICUDoc and Frick
yea...mine was a 17 Jan 20 build.....I was told the upgrade to LR+ would be a hardware change I would have to pay for......oh well....Just drive your car....you will enjoy it.....

• Informative
Reactions: Paul8810
So are you going today? What time is the event? I am on the verge of putting my order in and I’m very curious to see what comes out of this event today.
went camping......but I am sure now that with the “F” battery I have, I will still need a hardware update to get the LR+ upgrade.....if you order today. you will get it for sure, along with the hubcaps.....

went camping......but I am sure now that with the “F” battery I have, I will still need a hardware update to get the LR+ upgrade.....if you order today. you will get it for sure, along with the hubcaps.....
Probably a better use of your time :)

Was planning on the sonic carbon slipstreams anyway so I’m safe from those shockingly ugly hubcaps.