Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera Recalibration sequence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a camera recalibration which went very well until the last 1 or 2 degrees of the blue circle. First 358 degrees completed in about 10 miles. It has been about 40 miles and the last portion has not completed. Anyone know that the sequence is, especially the last on or two operations?

I did a camera recalibration which went very well until the last 1 or 2 degrees of the blue circle. First 358 degrees completed in about 10 miles. It has been about 40 miles and the last portion has not completed. Anyone know that the sequence is, especially the last on or two operations?
The manual calls for several well painted lanes - like 3+ and drive in the middle lane. I guess light traffic would be best. Haven’t tried it yet ...

What kind of road did you drive on ?
Two lane road with lane stripes for a mile or so, then highway with 3-4 lanes each way and decent lane stripes, followed by shopping center service roads. There was quite a bit of traffic, and it wasn't dark yet. I was wondering if all the traffic actually somehow helped, like if it uses the cars as well for the calibration.

Two lane road with lane stripes for a mile or so, then highway with 3-4 lanes each way and decent lane stripes, followed by shopping center service roads. There was quite a bit of traffic, and it wasn't dark yet. I was wondering if all the traffic actually somehow helped, like if it uses the cars as well for the calibration.
I doubt it uses cars. They are probably assuming stretches of lines are straight and correct/calibrate. Multiple parallel lines give the cameras better calibration because of different angles to the camera.

How long did your Calibration take?

Ski

Why is everyone recalibrating cameras? Is this actually helping FSD? Most writeups I’m seeing say it has no real benefit. Any experiences to the contrary?

Ski
Nope, given the anecdotal evidence I thought it might change something but it did not. Fwiw recalibration took maybe 10-15 mins of driving down a regular freeway with clear enough lines in medium traffic. Didn't do anything special to ensure fast calibration. FSD Beta / Smart Summon calibration ("extra cameras") took a little bit of extra driving after regular AP became available. Was completely done in a bit under 20 miles if I had to guess (90%+ freeway, I reset it just before I headed onto the freeway)

Reactions: K5TRX
In my camera recalibration for the FSD beta, the blue circle took 5 miles of multi-lane arterial street and 10 miles of multi-lane freeway to complete. However, I couldn't immediately turn on the FSD beta. I found that the FSD beta page showed that there was still calibration remaining to be done which took another 10 miles of multi-lane arterial street. I find slightly better wheel performance at stops and in turns (less rotational fits).

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX and EVNow
I don’t recall FSD asking me to recalibrate
It (normally) doesn't and is about FSD Beta driving. DirtyTesla (YouTuber) did it and anecdotally noticed an improvement in some of the Beta's erratic behavior introduced in 10.4. Now it is all the rage for Beta tester's. 🤣🤣 People are tying in hopes of some improvements like creeping, wide turning behaviors or jerky steering wheel at intersections. I'm just going to wait and try after installing 10.5 (in a few hours, days, weeks or .... :eek:) since it is so close. it is an easy and nothing to lose (other than a few miles of Beta driving) possible problem fix so why not try.

Last edited:
It (normally) doesn't and is about FSD Beta driving. DirtyTesla (YouTuber) did it and anecdotally noticed an improvement in some of the Beta's erratic behavior introduced in 10.4. Now it is all the rage for Beta tester's. 🤣🤣 People are tying in hopes of some improvements like creeping, wide turning behaviors or jerky steering wheel at intersections. I'm just going to wait and try after installing 10.5 (in a few hours, days, weeks or .... :eek:) since it is so close. it is an easy and nothing to lose (other than a few miles of Beta driving) possible problem fix so why not try.
I haven't recalibrated since getting FSD several weeks ago. Since getting FSD, my car has had difficulty staying centered in lanes and rides the center line. I will try recalibrating once I receive 10.5 and hopefully it will help.

I decided to recalibrate the Autopilot cameras on my Tesla Model 3. It’s not as straightforward as it might seem.

The basic process is simple — go to the car’s Service menu, tap Camera Calibration, then Delete Calibration Data. When you do that, Autopilot, including cruise control, goes away. The steering wheel icon that normally is blue to indicate that Autosteer is active turns into a progress indicator. After some driving, perhaps 10 miles and perhaps considerably more, the car will give an alert saying that calibration is complete.

Several things happen when you delete camera calibration data:
  • The speed assist warning chime is enabled
  • Autosteer and Traffic-aware cruise control are not available
  • Navigate on Autopilot is disabled (switched off)
  • Stop light control is disabled (switched off)
  • Autopark stops working.
This can be awkward if you approach a traffic signal expecting the car to stop, because it isn’t going to stop — until you manually re-enable the feature and accept the terms and conditions. You also have to re-enable Navigate on Autopilot.

When the car tells you that calibration is complete, it’s not telling you the whole truth. When you re-enable Navigate on Autopilot and visit the Customize dialog, you’ll find that the section about confirming lane changes is greyed out, and under it is a message “Additional cameras calibrating” with a percentage. It can take considerably more driving to complete that. Until that additional calibration is complete, you cannot do automatic lane changes and Autopark does not work.

The additional camera calibration can be problematic. In mid December, the Sun is at a low angle in the sky and with the bare trees alongside, the roads look like barcodes more than anything else, and the camera calibration doesn’t like that much. I finally had to drive to a major metropolitan area adjacent to an interstate highway to find a suitable shadow-free calibration roadway. Overall it was about two hours of driving to finish the calibration. (One might also try driving on a well-lined straight road at night.)

So why would one intentionally recalibrate their Autopilot camera? It has been reported that some people who drive the Full Self-Driving Beta (I don’t) had dramatic improvements in reliability after recalibrating the cameras. I thought it might help with some rough spots with my production version of the software — it didn’t.

This was originally posted by me at Quora.com.

https://www.quora.com/profile/Kevin-Davidson-9