Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cameras and sepia tone coloring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the autopilot cameras with the exception of the backup camera use RCCB color filters for image processing. This is what causes the color tone you’re noticing. It’s normal / by design.

I had to look that up. As a photographer, I know about Bayer arrays, but had never heard of RCCB. Red, Clear, Clear, Blue. "Used in the automotive industry. Similar to the Bayer sensor except the green pixels are clear, providing more low-light sensitivity and less noise." (from WIKI)

I have the same problem with my 2022 MYP and while a red car is right next to me, my display shows an orange car. Pretty annoying and amazing that for a $65k vehicle, they can’t get a simple color saturation issue resolved. It is rather distracting when you’re using your turn signal and the video quality is not what you see out the window. Hope someone at T-land would fix this annoying problem.

I have the same problem with my 2022 MYP and while a red car is right next to me, my display shows an orange car. Pretty annoying and amazing that for a $65k vehicle, they can’t get a simple color saturation issue resolved. It is rather distracting when you’re using your turn signal and the video quality is not what you see out the window. Hope someone at T-land would fix this annoying problem.
It is not an issue. It is as designed. The cameras are optimized for autopilot, not for eyeballs.

Reactions: fholbert
2023 MY. Is it me or do the cameras have a somewhat sepia color tone? It does not seem natural. Reminds me of the older westerns.

Don‘t sweat the small stuff.

I had to look that up. As a photographer, I know about Bayer arrays, but had never heard of RCCB. Red, Clear, Clear, Blue. "Used in the automotive industry. Similar to the Bayer sensor except the green pixels are clear, providing more low-light sensitivity and less noise." (from WIKI)
Except they are very noisy and grainy even in the day time and low light sensitivity is still poor. 🤷🏻‍♂️

HW4 cameras seem much improved on all fronts as well as the color cast displayed on the screen.