Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cameras not picking up speed limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, but a $20k Honda can.

Are you really sure that it is reading the signs? I'm pretty sure that I isn't. It, like most vehicles are pulling the speeds from a database. For some reason Tesla seemed to have switched databases earlier this year to one that has horrendous speed limit information.

My $100 GPS also knows speed limits, and it has a just about perfect database.

Are you really sure that it is reading the signs? I'm pretty sure that I isn't. It, like most vehicles are pulling the speeds from a database. For some reason Tesla seemed to have switched databases earlier this year to one that has horrendous speed limit information.

My MS AP1 definitely read speed limit signs. It changed the moment it crosses a new sign. I've seen a temporary speed limit sign go up for construction on a route I drive daily and it changed the speed in the car as soon as it passed the sign. Unfortunately it sometimes also misread school speed limit signs during times it was not active. It also tended to misread the lower speed limits for trucks on the highway.

There is a long open stretch of road with no stops that I take to work. The speed limit for most of it is 55 mph. The AP1 MS will allow me to set autopilot to 60 there (once it crosses the speed limit sign). My spouse has the M3 and hers is limited to 45 mph there. We just upgraded to a new Model X and it's also limited to 45 mph there.

What is the Honda Traffic Sign Recognition System?

The Traffic Sign Recognition System is a brand new technology that is available for the 2018 Accord. It is a system that sees and remembers the road signs that your Honda passes. It uses this information to remind the driver of their current speed limit.