Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping attachment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it’s winter for most, but here in Florida, it’s perfect camping weather. I saw a model S with a tent attached to the back once and googled for tent attachments for the X but came up short. Has anyone bought one that they like and can give recommendation?

Have this one saved off on my wishlist.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00NGJE...olid=3JEB9PBGOHNOZ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

When I roadtripped last year it seemed much more convenient and time saving to lay in the back of the car (6 Seat X w/fridge betweent seats in 2nd row & 2" memory foam bed folded in half).

vugxvkA.jpg

I know it’s winter for most, but here in Florida, it’s perfect camping weather. I saw a model S with a tent attached to the back once and googled for tent attachments for the X but came up short. Has anyone bought one that they like and can give recommendation?
I have the tent pictured by @scottf200 above for use on my Model S. It should attach to the MX just fine.

The tent works well, although it is not exactly a quick and easy setup. For staying multiple nights in a campground it is fine, but as a one-night option while road tripping it is a bit of a pain.

The biggest issue is with campsite configuration. It is hit-or-miss as to whether there will be a flat dirt spot to set up the tent immediately adjacent to the parking spot for the car. Often there are physical barriers around the parking spot (logs, curbs, etc.) That limit where the car can go, and often whatever paving material is used for the parking extends past the barrier. This usually precludes hammering in tent stakes (certainly the wire ones that come with tents these days).

Where this camping mode would be ideal is in a site with power, preferably a NEMA 14-50, to charge the car overnight or at least allow maintaining charge while running the climate control in the car/tent. Unfortunately very few RV parking spots have a good place for a tent adjacent to the parking area. Also, probably a majority of private campgrounds will not allow tents.

So, to sum up, this system works great under the right circumstances, which is about 10-20% of the time. But the thing can also just be used as a tent, not attached to the car, so you at least have a place to sleep.