Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping with Model S: making it cushy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just spent 17 days car camping in our Model S 70D. We covered too many miles for the time allotted, but is was a wonderful time. Here is what we learned:
IMG_9296.jpg
IMG_9477.jpg

Most state parks and many national parks have either 30TT (120V 30A chargers) or 14-50R (240V 50A). There is an adapter for the TT30 that I don't have in front of me, so I don't have the contact info. We used KOA campgrounds a couple times. These tend to be a little less picturesque, and they do have power pedestals... we found they worked with us to put us in a tent site with access to a 14-50R place to charge. Both that we used were very interested in the Tesla Destination chargers and were looking forward to suppling 80A charging!!

We had three Xooters (Dash model is lighter and smaller than others) which we would pack in Xooter carry cases to keep the rest of our stuff clean. These were great at SuperChargers as it gave us range to seek out restaurants or other fun things while we were charging. We also used them around the campgrounds for fun and exercise. We can see that when we plan another to a city, they will be super handy as they fold and have a carrying strap. The are light enough for even my 8 year old to carry.

I'm not saying I'm getting old or anything... yet I was not looking forward to a couple weeks of sleeping on the ground... then we found Tentsile tents. Fantastic. no sleeping on the ground (unless there are no trees around) and easy to set up. You also have a shelter under the tent should it rain.
IMG_9251.jpg

The combination of SuperChargers and campgrounds made for some really easy travel. Avoiding a trailer we were able to maintain our range and keep things simple.

Our route started in Blacksburg, across West Virginia, across Kentucky, through the corner of Ohio, across Indiana, north through Illinois, through Wisconsin, across South Dakota as far west at Mt Rushmore, then south to Tryon Nebraska for the Eclipse. Then back across Nebraska, Missouri, Kentucky, about 200 yards in Tennessee, Virginia, back into Tennessee to a SuperCharger and home.

We keep a charging log and my daughter keep a log of what we did (from an 8 year old perspective!).

Things we might change:

-Cooking: We were using an MSR camping cookstove, which worked just fine... I might get an induction hot pad as it would be easy set up, clean up and would allow us to cook under the tent comfortably... and then you are really dependant on electric campgrounds.

-Go fewer places and stay longer. Well, even though the Tesla is comfortable, it would have been more fun to not be on the move every day!!

Attachments

• IMG_9251.jpg
    IMG_9251.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 72
Ooooo Exciting! I'm about to embark on my first long road trip and I just want to add the Megamat LW is perfect in the model S, I have three layers of 1 inch super light EVA foam MMA mats that I bought off a rubber flooring website that makes the trunk level with the folded rear seats... and fits with one seat still up in the back so you essentially have a mobile 3 seater model S with bed deployed. the bed is more comfortable than most mattresses! Can't wait.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler