Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

can a battery regenerate power on its own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a trip and was going to be gone for 15 days. I parked the car turned off the sentry and the setting to maintain internal cabin temperature. When I left the battery percentage was 80%. Two days later I checked and the battery was now 85%. When I returned the battery charge was 81% any ideas as to how this occurred?

Heh. It's called, "How much accuracy does one want out of electronics, anyway?"

Off the top of my head, temperature variations affect things like voltage references, components, and what-all. Further, working out Just How Many Electrons Are In Those Batteries is not, by any means, some kind of Solved Problem. It's not quite as bad as figuring out how much fuel is any kind of fuel tank, but it's not far off.

Just so we're clear on this: I've never had an ICE car that had an accurate fuel gauge. I mean.. stays at full for the first 50 or 100 miles, drops rapidly to 3/4 full, drifts downwards slowly, and still has two gallons left over when the needle's on "E". Turns out that a float, a resistance potentiometer attached to an arm, and some kind of reference isn't wildly accurate, to say the least.

Likewise, figuring out how many electrons have been dumped into a slew of individual cells, all with different levels of degradation, and varying voltages as a function of temperature Has Its Limits.