Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a normal plug socket be upgraded? [UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I am new to the forum so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I am looking for a cheap faster charging solution as I am in rented accommodation. I will spend a bit of money and get a proper wall mounted charger when I purchase my house.

The pictures show a cheap solution for about £250 + £50 for the Tesla adapter.

Is there anyway to change/rewire a standard 3 pin plug socket to allow 40-50 amps, as that will allow the standard charger to produce its maximum 32 amps. Which will allow you to charge 30-48 miles on the standard Tesla charger. The plug socket is the limiting factor, be great if it can be upgraded?

I know it is not practical, but I happily run my charger through my letterbox using an electrical extension cord at present. If that plug socket could allow 40 amps, then that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Charger 2.jpg
Charger.jpg
Charger 1.jpg

In general, the wiring for a 3-pin plug will need to be replaced with heavier gauge wires to carry a 32 Amp load. The wiring will also have to be dedicated to this one outlet only, not used for other plugs. EVSE have several safety features that the standard blue outlets don’t have. Tesla’s mobile connectors do have those features, but they only protect downstream. I am not sure, but the UK may not allow this sort of plug to be used for EV charging, although it is acceptable for other uses.

There are several experts on this form that surely will offer UK-specific advice.

GSP

Edit - I noticed this is in the general Model 3 forum. I suggest reposting this in the UK charging forum.

I use that plug to charge while at home in Italy. It works well, but the socket itself is rarely the only bottleneck. You'll need to check if the wire gauge is heavy enough to support that kind of amps, the ground connection is strong enough to discharge the power and your breaker won't panic. I'd not recommend installing this stuff on your own, unless you know your stuff (and your home wiring).

I am looking for a cheap faster charging solution as I am in rented accommodation. I will spend a bit of money and get a proper wall mounted charger when I purchase my house.

Is there anyway to change/rewire a standard 3 pin plug socket to allow 40-50 amps, as that will allow the standard charger to produce its maximum 32 amps. Which will allow you to charge 30-48 miles on the standard Tesla charger. The plug socket is the limiting factor, be great if it can be upgraded?

I know it is not practical, but I happily run my charger through my letterbox using an electrical extension cord at present. If that plug socket could allow 40 amps, then that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 906669View attachment 906670View attachment 906671

I am going to leave this thread here, but I suggest asking the question in the UK subforum to get UK specific advice. In the US, "regular residential outlets" are 120V single phase outlets. I am not sure this is the case in the UK.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 906669View attachment 906670View attachment 906671

How many times do you expect that you need the higher charging rate?

For most people it is 0. The difference in charging time is only minutes.