Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a software update be scheduled from the app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably not much of a use case for scheduling an update from the app. If you’re not using the car, you can start the update immediately. If you’re going to use the car, you can schedule it when you’re there.

An update can take up to an hour. I want that to be when there is as close to 0% chance of needing the car, as possible. I'm not going to start the update now. I would like for it to start after I've been asleep for an hour or two.

The idea that a high demand "use case" is required for such a simple addition, speaks to the way Tesla designs their vehicles. We already have dysfunctional charge scheduling software. So maybe I should be glad they haven't added update scheduling software.

The idea that a high demand "use case" is required for such a simple addition, speaks to the way Tesla designs their vehicles. We already have dysfunctional charge scheduling software. So maybe I should be glad they haven't added update scheduling software.
Software developers avoid adding features that few users will need, because it complicates the UI for everyone else, and requires development/testing resources that could be used on other features with greater impact. That’s not unusual in the industry. Nothing in software is ever as simple as it seems.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart
An update can take up to an hour. I want that to be when there is as close to 0% chance of needing the car, as possible. I'm not going to start the update now. I would like for it to start after I've been asleep for an hour or two.

Hard to see why this is such a complicated issue? To start it is rare if ever that a software update takes an hour. 20-30 minutes is the norm. Second, it’s often a multi monthly option not a daily concern. No more complicated then charging a phone which Is daily. End of day, start install and go to sleep. Not what I would view as high risk complicated.

Software developers avoid adding features that few users will need, because it complicates the UI for everyone else, and requires development/testing resources that could be used on other features with greater impact. That’s not unusual in the industry. Nothing in software is ever as simple as it seems.

Sounds good, but this level of inconvenience shows a lack of support for the users. You can probably have eliminated 80% of the features on the car by saying "few" people will use them. Let's face it. Teslas are all about the gadgets. That was Musk's contribution.

On the other hand, they refused to add waypoint routing to the car, in spite of so many people asking for it. Someone finally got through Musk's thick skull on Twitter and he cried, "No mas! I'll give you the damn waypoints!"

Hard to see why this is such a complicated issue? To start it is rare if ever that a software update takes an hour. 20-30 minutes is the norm. Second, it’s often a multi monthly option not a daily concern. No more complicated then charging a phone which Is daily. End of day, start install and go to sleep. Not what I would view as high risk complicated.

I get tired of the petty replies. I don't check every update. It's a car. I want to drive it. Scheduling updates when I know I won't be driving the car seems like such an obvious feature. But putting on shoes and a jacket (and often pants) to set up the update seems silly. I BOUGHT A GD LUXURY CAR AND IT HAS BEEN ANYTHING BUT A LUXURY. This car has been the hardest to use of anything I've ever bought.

People say it's a cell phone with wheels, but it's more like a cell phone on steroids… with wheels!

I get tired of the petty replies. I don't check every update. It's a car. I want to drive it. Scheduling updates when I know I won't be driving the car seems like such an obvious feature. But putting on shoes and a jacket (and often pants) to set up the update seems silly. I BOUGHT A GD LUXURY CAR AND IT HAS BEEN ANYTHING BUT A LUXURY. This car has been the hardest to use of anything I've ever bought.

People say it's a cell phone with wheels, but it's more like a cell phone on steroids… with wheels!
Sorry, petty question petty reply. You don’t Have to go to the car to update simple enough. And for record, it’s not a luxury car.

Sorry, petty question petty reply. You don’t Have to go to the car to update simple enough. And for record, it’s not a luxury car.

Really? Why is it not a luxury car?

So if I don't have to go to the car to schedule an update, how is that done? I'd like my update to happen tonight at 4:30am. I'll be asleep from around 1am to 9am.

I really don't get your obstinacy. What I've said is very clear, and reasonable, even if it doesn't matter to you.

Your question is clear, and the answer as to why it hasn't been implemented is also pretty clear. Updates don't come often, and you don't have to immediately apply them. If they could be done without any user intervention they would but it's not the case as there is downtime. In fact, I would argue that BECAUSE there is downtime, a human should start it on the moment. It shouldn't be scheduled otherwise it might start at the wrong moment, you might have forgotten your schedule as your plans change.

When I see the notification I just ask myself "will I drive in the next hour?". If the answer is no, I update. if it's yes, I do nothing and I might think about the update the next day. Nothing wrong with that. You could start the update when you go to bed. Why the insistance on having it start after you've actually fallen asleep?

Luxury is a flexible term, meaning different things to different people. For many, a high price equates luxury, and maybe it's the case for you too. I believe we paid a high price for the technology, the powertrain and the likes, but I don't feel that my model 3 is a luxury car when compared to BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover etc...

Your question is clear, and the answer as to why it hasn't been implemented is also pretty clear. Updates don't come often, and you don't have to immediately apply them. If they could be done without any user intervention they would but it's not the case as there is downtime. In fact, I would argue that BECAUSE there is downtime, a human should start it on the moment. It shouldn't be scheduled otherwise it might start at the wrong moment, you might have forgotten your schedule as your plans change.

When I see the notification I just ask myself "will I drive in the next hour?". If the answer is no, I update. if it's yes, I do nothing and I might think about the update the next day. Nothing wrong with that. You could start the update when you go to bed. Why the insistance on having it start after you've actually fallen asleep?

Luxury is a flexible term, meaning different things to different people. For many, a high price equates luxury, and maybe it's the case for you too. I believe we paid a high price for the technology, the powertrain and the likes, but I don't feel that my model 3 is a luxury car when compared to BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover etc...

It shouldn't be scheduled otherwise it might start at the wrong moment

This shows you have no understanding of what I'm saying. Bye

• Funny
Reactions: GtiMart