Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a tesla inverter replace a solaredge inverter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
I need this answer to get my project done. So, seems the solaredge inverters use optimizers. But what have the Tesla solar installs been using?

When I see posts about asking the same question, I am not seeing in most cases who is installing.

So bottom line, can an existing solaredge install which mine is using s 11.4K one with optimizers, use the new tesla inverter. In some ways I am hoping the answer is no, since it means no changes for me.

I thought your project was a Powerwalll install or two? Am I correct that you have an existing SolarEdge GT system and are waiting to see if there are ER SGIP funds?
If so, the answer is that the new Tesla inverter has nothing to do with that project. No worries.
My project is to install a number of batteries to an existing solar setup. I have a SE se11400H HD wave inverter. Not sure what a SE GT system is. Since I have a 400 amp service, split to 2 200 amp subpanels, I am having to split me solar. So this means adding another inverter, which currently is planned to be another SE11400H to match. So this is why I am trying to find out if the new tesla inverter would even technically work with my SE optimizers. If not, case close. If yes, not clear if the money will cover. I already have my SGIP funds approved.

That is a technical question beyond the scope of this anonymous poster on the Internet. I would leave that up to your installer to figure out My guess is that if they are already committed to a project design as described in your approved SGIP application that they will have to stick to that plan. I assume that they are an independent installer and can easily purchase another SolarEdge inverter. That inverter is a Grid Tie inverter which is often abbreviated GT. Maybe some other anonymous poster has another opinion?

You should get another Solaredge inverter.

The Solaredge optimizers by default only put out 1V per optimizer until they are instructed otherwise by a Solaredge inverter. That's to comply with Rapid Shutdown requirements, but also provides a convenient way to determine the number of functioning optimizers per string when illuminated (just measure the DC voltage when disconnected).

So a non-Solaredge inverter won't work with the equipment you have on your roof. If you want to switch to a string inverter in the future for some reason, you'll have to remove the optimizers.

Cheers, Wayne

• Informative
Reactions: GenSao and Gwgan

The Solaredge optimizers by default only put out 1V per optimizer until they are instructed otherwise by a Solaredge inverter. That's to comply with Rapid Shutdown requirements, but also provides a convenient way to determine the number of functioning optimizers per string when illuminated (just measure the DC voltage when disconnected).

So a non-Solaredge inverter won't work with the equipment you have on your roof. If you want to switch to a string inverter in the future for some reason, you'll have to remove the optimizers.

Cheers, Wayne
thanks

Since I have a 400 amp service, split to 2 200 amp subpanels, I am having to split me solar. So this means adding another inverter, which currently is planned to be another SE11400H to match.
Is there an earlier thread that discusses the reasons for your installer doing it that way? I looked and could not find it. My question is for my own edification.

which way are you asking since there are a couple of things there
I found the earlier thread that explains why you are are going with two large inverters instead of two smaller ones. My question was more about why they could not derate one of those subpanels to handle one large inverter. I would guess it was driven by the fact that you wanted two big inverters. Is there also a limit on how much GT solar that can be AC coupled to one or two powerwalls? Indeed, that is the limitation of my DIY hybrid inverter, which is about 7 kW. Now that I understand the context behind the two inverters I have most of the answers. Thanks, I can figure out the ratio of Powerwalls to solar if I ever consider one.

Last edited:

Cheers, Wayne

this is correct, however, Solaredge has a solution.
Google Solaredge Key. This device is to connect Solaredge optimizers to non solaredge Converters.

this is correct, however, Solaredge has a solution.
Google Solaredge Key. This device is to connect Solaredge optimizers to non solaredge Converters.
Thanks for the info. Looks like the Solaredge Key lets you modify the behavior of the optimizers to no longer require a Solaredge handshake to produce DC. But that means you'd need a different Rapid Shutdown solution. And the device comes with an MC4 connector, so you'd have to go to the roof to connect it? Or I guess you could maybe use an MC4 pigtail and do it at the inverter location.

Another option is their Safety & Monitoring Interface, which basically does the non-inverter stuff the Solaredge inverters do. I.e. it lets you use their optimizers with any grid-tie inverter.

Cheers, Wayne

I found the earlier thread that explains why you are are going with two large inverters instead of two smaller ones. My question was more about why they could not derate one of those subpanels to handle one large inverter. I would guess it was driven by the fact that you wanted two big inverters. Is there also a limit on how much GT solar that can be AC coupled to one or two powerwalls? Indeed, that is the limitation of my DIY hybrid inverter, which is about 7 kW. Now that I understand the context behind the two inverters I have most of the answers. Thanks, I can figure out the ratio of Powerwalls to solar if I ever consider one.
I basically have 2 200 amp subpanels. One is in my home, and the other if far away in my garage. My garage subpanel contains the 100 amp breaker that goes down and connects to my 9 mini split heads 2 compressors. So I really have 2 homes. I have zero desire to have a load and non load panel. In my case, changing the wiring is a no go. I am smart enough that when power goes out to not use the house the same way.

Currently I have paid for and installed the 11.4K SE inverter on my 14.5K solar, for right around the 133% mark. But with 2 gates ways, I need to split the solar. So one answer would be to put in 2 smaller inverters, or just leave the one larger one. I just then said why not just make them both the same size in case more panels wanted to be added in the future. I really have not see anything huge about using a larger inverter, when it is paid for.

I have tried for months looking at options for my 400 service to 2 200 panels, and just as I did with my generator, just going to drive the whole house. SO much easier to deal with. And again, as long as one knows what not to use in an outage, I am not aware of any negatives, just lots of positives. Or, did I miss something?

If that flies with your installer it should be no problem.
When I talked with the installer yesterday, yep, they first comments were looking at loads and what should be in load vs non load panel. When I explained how I wired my generator to be whole house, and saw no reason to not do the same with the batteries, he said great, makes things SO much easier. He also was super happy when I said everything I do on my house must have a permit. But, until the plans get updated, shall see. The last key piece we are working on is how many batteries. Hope to get that resolved very soon.

The SGIP money has to assume a certain number of batteries or is the money reserved based on an estimate?
I had always assumed it had to be permitted and inspected. As far as I know, PG&E will not sign off on the submission to SGIP without final inspection.
Yep, the SGIP stuff gives a maximum amount, it is 1000 per 1kw. So max per battery is like 13.5K. You would be amazed at what some folks try to get away with. What is happening more here now is something gets inspected by an inspector, and they "notice" something else and ask about permits. Just had a friend have this happen. Oh by the way, whats the permit number on that generator. I just got a note from the assessors dept at the county wanting the info on the permitted generator to charge my more property tax. Waiting for a solar one.

Yep, PG&E wants to see the final, AND ones rate has been changed to ev2-a

Now like any project, one can add more stuff over and beyond the sgip process, so it is a different payment process

Thanks for the info. Looks like the Solaredge Key lets you modify the behavior of the optimizers to no longer require a Solaredge handshake to produce DC. But that means you'd need a different Rapid Shutdown solution. And the device comes with an MC4 connector, so you'd have to go to the roof to connect it? Or I guess you could maybe use an MC4 pigtail and do it at the inverter location.

Another option is their Safety & Monitoring Interface, which basically does the non-inverter stuff the Solaredge inverters do. I.e. it lets you use their optimizers with any grid-tie inverter.

Cheers, Wayne

the Solaredge key is still doing the handshaking and switching on the optimizers. So if the connection between the key and panels is lost all optimizers will switch off and only 10 volt will be on the system. As I see this you do not need to get on the roof.

the Solaredge key is still doing the handshaking and switching on the optimizers. So if the connection between the key and panels is lost all optimizers will switch off and only 10 volt will be on the system. As I see this you do not need to get on the roof.
Per the information I read, you're describing the behavior of the Safety & Monitoring interface. The Key is a one time use device for reprogramming optimizers to subsequently work stand-alone without any other Solaredge equipment in the system.

Cheers, Wayne