Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a used Model 3 be more expensive than brand new?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take the cost of a new one add in the cost each feature
Then deduct 50 cents for each mile.
And that's just retail

Folks forget their rebates and expect you to pay them all over again

You should see the wailing and nashing of teeth when Tesla offers wholesale at trade in.

There are $1875 fed tax rebate + $1500 PA state rebate, so the SR+ price after rebate is $39450 - $1875 - $1500 = $36075.

Of course not including destination fees, sale tax etc as I have to pay such fees and sale taxes for buying any new car. It was said the average paid new car price in US is now around $36k -$37k. If true my SR+ price after rebate is exactly the average, hardly a luxury item at all. Tesla seems to charge a bit high on $1200 for delivery fee though.

Thanks #ecarfan for fixing the title for me.

You're asking about used model 3 vs new model 3. Do you need to pay destination fee for a used model 3? No. So you need to include it in the new price.

There are not enough used Model 3’s on the market for realistic pricing to be where it should be. With the federal tax credit going away in January that only makes the used models more appealing. And many states do not offer local rebates. And yes, the $1,200 delivery fee from Tesla is often overlooked in comparing new vs used.

As the used Model 3 market expands prices will come down. But since the car has barely been out two years it’s not realistic to see enough of them out there to drive prices down to realistic levels, especially with zero new ones available for immediate delivery.

:D No, it's not.

I hope you were making a funny, but just throwing this out here in case you were half serious.

My SR+ has gone up $500 in value since I bought it, I charge it for free and it got faster acceleration, charging and a heap of features for free in the past 2 months and the resale value has not gone down.

You are right, my car is not an appreciating asset. Not

It is appreciating very much so. A car that gets better with time. Unheard of

• Disagree
Reactions: arghx7 and cucubits
I got my MR for $45 - full rebate. Now, for some weird reason, there is the exact same configuration available from Tesla with 7.7K miles for $51 !! Seriously ? I don't think anyone is going to buy that.

I got my MR for $45 - full rebate. Now, for some weird reason, there is the exact same configuration available from Tesla with 7.7K miles for $51 !! Seriously ? I don't think anyone is going to buy that.

They probably have an algorithm that will dynamically alter the price as the car sits on the lot. Tesla has a lot more data than a private seller on what the market will bear. It's high, but they may not have to cut it too much to sell it.

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/12/13/tesla-increases-price-model-3-end-federal-tax-credit/

Now the price of SR+ just went up another $500

My car has essentially gone up $1,000 in value the past 2 months since I bought it

But it's not appreciating. You guys are right. It's losing value because Tesla keeps raising the price of it.

Haha

Yeah, the new price may have gone up, but so has your mileage and the age of your car. It's not appreciating, no matter how much you want that.