Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a used Model 3 be more expensive than brand new?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I placed order for SR+ I searched pretty hard for used Model 3s and found their prices are totally absurd. MY SR+ essentially is like $36k after tax rebates but, for instance, cheapest M3 SR in Carvana are over $40k.

How could this be? Are those used M3 buyers nuts?

Sorry for the typo in the title, don't know how to edit it and also couldn't figure out how to delete and repost.. New to the forum. My apology

Reactions: ZappCatt
Yeah, almost all used Model 3s I've ever seen have been listed at more than the cost of a brand new one. No idea why but it is what it is.

I've seen the same thing in my market too. And the sellers don't budge. They're banking on people not being able to wait for delivery.

Some of these cars had original MSRP higher than today's MSRP, so they think the pre-owned depreciation is already built-in. It doesn't make sense from a market perspective (i.e. vs street price), but its how some sellers justify to themselves.

Some listings come off the market pretty quick. Others, not surprisingly, still linger around

Before I placed order for SR+ I searched pretty hard for used Model 3s and found their prices are totally absurd. MY SR+ essentially is like $36k after tax rebates but, for instance, cheapest M3 SR in Carvana are over $40k.

Sorry for the typo in the title, don't know how to edit it and also couldn't figure out how to delete and repost.. New to the forum. My apology

What are your rebates? Base SR+ starts at 39450+1200 delivery fee.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

Yeah, almost all used Model 3s I've ever seen have been listed at more than the cost of a brand new one. No idea why but it is what it is.

I've seen the same thing in my market too. And the sellers don't budge. They're banking on people not being able to wait for delivery.

Some of these cars had original MSRP higher than today's MSRP, so they think the pre-owned depreciation is already built-in. It doesn't make sense from a market perspective (i.e. vs street price), but its how some sellers justify to themselves.

Some listings come off the market pretty quick. Others, not surprisingly, still linger around

i questioned a couple of these sellers and the general response i got was that they were trying to recoup what they paid for in tax, title, fees, etc. I told them that's not how used cars work and they all pretty much told me to pound sand.

so i ended up buying new.

Private sellers can ask whatever they want for what they are selling.

Now that the Model 3 is in high volume production few people are likely to pay more for a used 3 than a new one.

I fixed that for you. No big deal, don’t worry about it.

Guess there are new car buyers and used car buyers. While most would think the two are closly linked, some people only buy used cars and others only new.
There is a long standing preception that used cars are the better buy, and for some reason many will only look at used cars when they buy...strange.

For many, the tax credits/rebate are not something they are elegible to recieve, so only the price they pay for the car is meaningful.

Some used might be priced higher because that specific configuration is no longer available, or that the buyer values immediate availablity, instead of waiting for an undertermined time to take delivery.

Buyer can often get an inspection and test drive in their car prior to paying or pay in cash.

To me the earlier model 3's are more likely to have had build quality problems, and come with HW2.5 , so I don't see the advantage of an earlier one unless you really want say LR RWD and can get a good deal on them. Yeah there have been some slight cost cutting on new Model 3's (Homelink) but overall it doesn't make up for rolling the dice on something that may have been built during the ramp up.

I'm actually a typical used car buyer. This SR+ is the second new car we ever bought. The first one was a Honda Accord LX bought new exactly 20 years ago. I don't want to spend too much money on cars which only depreciate, would rather put the extra money to invest etc. If used Model 3s are similarly priced as gas cars, I'd almost definitely buy a used one. Our current cars are 2012 X5 and 2010 G37x, both bought used on 2014.

Anyway, I understand seller can ask whatever price they want, but what I'm puzzling is what kind of person would buy a used M3 at the price higher than new. Maybe those people who for whatever reason just must get the car immediately.

What are your rebates? Base SR+ starts at 39450+1200 delivery fee.

There are $1875 fed tax rebate + $1500 PA state rebate, so the SR+ price after rebate is $39450 - $1875 - $1500 = $36075.

Of course not including destination fees, sale tax etc as I have to pay such fees and sale taxes for buying any new car. It was said the average paid new car price in US is now around $36k -$37k. If true my SR+ price after rebate is exactly the average, hardly a luxury item at all. Tesla seems to charge a bit high on $1200 for delivery fee though.

Thanks #ecarfan for fixing the title for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: pipestem
To me the earlier model 3's are more likely to have had build quality problems, and come with HW2.5 , so I don't see the advantage of an earlier one unless you really want say LR RWD and can get a good deal on them. Yeah there have been some slight cost cutting on new Model 3's (Homelink) but overall it doesn't make up for rolling the dice on something that may have been built during the ramp up.

exactly this. I've seen listings for clearly HW 2.5 and late 2018/ very early 2019 builds, between 5k- 8k miles on them - but with asking prices of very close to what a brand new Model 3 after incentives would cost. LOL.

scariest thing about very low mileage used cars remains - WHY is the seller ditching a virtually brand new car?

Reactions: arghx7
exactly this. I've seen listings for clearly HW 2.5 and late 2018/ very early 2019 builds, between 5k- 8k miles on them - but with asking prices of very close to what a brand new Model 3 after incentives would cost. LOL.

scariest thing about very low mileage used cars remains - WHY is the seller ditching a virtually brand new car?
mostly because they can't afford it. sometimes because they bought a more expensive car. occasionally because of some random excuse like "moving to an area where a car isn't needed" or "leaving country" or "wife left me, please help".

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Gotta remember that people expect negotiation.

Even if they listed below market value, people are STILL going to haggle.

eBay motors might show the value of completed transactions.

Buying new ensures the battery wasn’t mistreated and you are getting better/density batteries, hw3 installed etc.