Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone help with enabling supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a M3 performance with salvage title, previous owner told me that he got an exception from the service center since the airbags never deployed. I have had it working for over a year until last night, was denied access. Today, the Tesla Service Center told me that any salvage title is permanently banned from superchargers. No opportunity for appeal, or any other exception. I think we need to flood Tesla management with request to reconsider and grant access. I have been a strong advocate/ambassador for Telsa, this takes the wind out of my sails. Other than making SC more available to the exploding number of Tesla owners, there is no reason to punish those with salvage titles, especially since I have years of using the SC with no safety issues.

I didn't read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned.

A guy on YouTube said that it's possible, and he had actually done it. The problem is, you're breaking the law by doing so; it is Tesla's right to refuse supercharging service to anyone, or any car. If a car has been banned from using the service, and you knowingly use it any way, you're breaking the law.
What law? A criminal law? In what jurisdiction?

Reactions: 2101Guy
Can't be done? Can't be done?
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Attachments

• Fast Charge Me.jpg
    Fast Charge Me.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 343
What law? A criminal law? In what jurisdiction?
I’m pretty sure Tesla could make a case on the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act:

Whoever

(4)
knowingly and with intent to defraud, accesses a protected computer without authorization, or exceeds authorized access, and by means of such conduct furthers the intended fraud and obtains anything of value, unless the object of the fraud and the thing obtained consists only of the use of the computer and the value of such use is not more than $5,000 in any 1-year period;

In any case, stealing electricity is subject to the same laws that apply to stealing anything else…

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
I’m pretty sure Tesla could make a case on the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act:

In any case, stealing electricity is subject to the same laws that apply to stealing anything else…
If they can make that case. We can also say unauthorized access. If they want they can disable SC on the supercharger side but not by getting into my car & making config changes without my approval. We own the car. As Elon was promoting clean energy isn't this process walking back?

Reactions: saflak and jaguar36
Seems unfair the car is a Tesla they're not giving you some sort of way to add non-tesla's. I suppose you've tried just adding the vin on the site with the bought from 3rd party option? It was actually pretty straight forward for me to add my 3rd party car I just uploaded my registration showing it's a tesla with the vin and a copy of my license and the car was added to my Tesla account.

Never had a salvage so not sure what the how the registration info differs.

I take it the S isn't CCS1 compatible either so you can't even use the adapter? Tesla CCS Combo 1 Adapter & CHAdeMO Adapter

Getting supercharging access on salvaged Teslas has been a known issue for years, yet people still try to refigure supercharging on refurbished salvaged cars, to then complain that somehow Tesla should let them supercharge when it doesn't work. Since superchargers are Tesla's property, and plugging in some unknown high voltage unregistered equipment to this very expensive property is a potentially dangerous or damaging issue, why should Tesla allow just anyone to drive up and plug in? The cars can still charge, only slower, at any 220-volt outlet.

My wife and I made a trip to another state before there WERE superchargers. It was relaxing and interesting finding RV parks, paying $10 to use an outlet, and then taking an hour walk for a cup of coffee while the car s-l-o-w-l-y charged. As we only took one long trip, this was a one-time experience, but I don't quite understand the worry that a salvaged car won't be able to supercharge. If the car can be charged in a garage on a 220-volt outlet, what's the problem? You're only restricted on long trips, not on daily use, and if you plan it right, you can do a slow charge while you shop and eat lunch or sightsee while on your trip. It's entirely do-able.

When a person pays (a lot) less to buy a salvaged Tesla and is unable to get an admittedly unnecessary feature activated for that reduced price, what's the problem? You get what you pay for. Always.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Getting supercharging access on salvaged Teslas has been a known issue for years, yet people still try to refigure supercharging on refurbished salvaged cars, to then complain that somehow Tesla should let them supercharge when it doesn't work. Since superchargers are Tesla's property, and plugging in some unknown high voltage unregistered equipment to this very expensive property is a potentially dangerous or damaging issue, why should Tesla allow just anyone to drive up and plug in? The cars can still charge, only slower, at any 220-volt outlet.

My wife and I made a trip to another state before there WERE superchargers. It was relaxing and interesting finding RV parks, paying $10 to use an outlet, and then taking an hour walk for a cup of coffee while the car s-l-o-w-l-y charged. As we only took one long trip, this was a one-time experience, but I don't quite understand the worry that a salvaged car won't be able to supercharge. If the car can be charged in a garage on a 220-volt outlet, what's the problem? You're only restricted on long trips, not on daily use, and if you plan it right, you can do a slow charge while you shop and eat lunch or sightsee while on your trip. It's entirely do-able.

When a person pays (a lot) less to buy a salvaged Tesla and is unable to get an admittedly unnecessary feature activated for that reduced price, what's the problem? You get what you pay for. Always.
While for the most part, I agree with you, there is an issue that I don't agree with...

Tesla won't even do an inspection on a salvage car to verify the integrity/safety of it to then allow supercharger access. That literally flies in the face of the public reason they have given, which is that they don't want electrically unsafe cars using their network. And that's fine, but if they offered a paid-for service where a guy could get them to certify that the car is able to be supercharged safely, that would really stand behind their stance.

As it is, they're promoting e-waste, all in a thinly veiled attempt to get someone to replace their car with a new Tesla.

While I do agree with businesses having the right to refuse their service(s) to anyone they choose, they should at least have a decent reason for doing so.

IMO, salvage cars that are electrically safe should be allowed access after a Tesla SC verifies the safety of the system.

It's been reported here that Tesla will now (at least in the US) re-enable supercharging if the car is brought to them for an inspection of the HV system. I have no idea what that inspection entails or the cost of it - but people have said they do in fact re-enable supercharging if the car passes the inspection.

It's been reported here that Tesla will now (at least in the US) re-enable supercharging if the car is brought to them for an inspection of the HV system. I have no idea what that inspection entails or the cost of it - but people have said they do in fact re-enable supercharging if the car passes the inspection.
Yea I heard it’s just not for model x yet unfortunately I don’t think.