Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone tell me what this component is?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone tell me what this component is? Looks like a battery to me, I’m guessing maybe for the cooling system. I’m trying to figure out if the previous owner disconnected it for some reason. Maybe the coolant pumps were running all the time?

Tesla.jpg

Now that I think more about it, I’m thinking it’s probably an additional 12v battery. The vehicle has an amp and subwoofer in the back, the fuses are near the original 12v battery (might be able to see it in the picture). Everything looks professionally installed, heat shrinked cables, proper gauge wiring, fuses as close to the battery as possible, etc. so that’s why I initially thought it was an oem battery that was disconnected for some reason. I’ll look closer and see if the wiring goes to the oem 12v battery and check the voltage on the battery in question when I have a chance.

Its a battery, this was probably added because the aftermarket amp is very large or there was worry that the 250 amp that you can get from the HV battery was not enough. There should be a battery isolator somewhere in the circuit to keep the two from leveling all the time, when the car is off. If you are worried about it, I would have a pro audio shop remove it or check its function. What worries me is how the neutral line just has a cap on it. I would not want that touching the positive at all. I would have at least taped it really well with electrical tape. Like you said looks very professional.

Its a battery, this was probably added because the aftermarket amp is very large or there was worry that the 250 amp that you can get from the HV battery was not enough. There should be a battery isolator somewhere in the circuit to keep the two from leveling all the time, when the car is off. If you are worried about it, I would have a pro audio shop remove it or check its function. What worries me is how the neutral line just has a cap on it. I would not want that touching the positive at all. I would have at least taped it really well with electrical tape. Like you said looks very professional.
You’re totally right about the neutral wire, I was thinking this was an oem battery before but now that I suspect it’s extra aftermarket battery that may be connected to the oem battery I better make sure those positive and negative wires don’t contact! Thanks for the advice!