Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diagram of powertrain components and their connections?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a diagram of the powertrain components and their logical connections? It would be helpful to have a map of how drive units and controllers connect to each other and a bonus if there’s any additional CAN data.

For context I just want to understand the differences between the Raven powertrain and the previous generation, as well as understand the system as a whole. It looks like Raven started using 30 pin data connectors and added 6 resolver pins in the drive units and I’m curious if this is simply telemetry or essential to spinning the newer PMSR motor.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I recently bought a used MS60 and wanted to learn about the high voltage system and found this very good YouTube video. The guy is a professor at Weber State University where he has a course on EVs.

He has all the components out on benches and walks you through the whole electrical system starting at the charging port, showing all the connections, etc. It's 52 minutes long but really well done. It's educational and would provide all the details to create a good diagram.

Upvote 0
Does anyone have a diagram of the powertrain components and their logical connections? It would be helpful to have a map of how drive units and controllers connect to each other and a bonus if there’s any additional CAN data.

For context I just want to understand the differences between the Raven powertrain and the previous generation, as well as understand the system as a whole. It looks like Raven started using 30 pin data connectors and added 6 resolver pins in the drive units and I’m curious if this is simply telemetry or essential to spinning the newer PMSR motor.
I replied a bit too quickly! On second thought, maybe too high level for what you're looking for! ;-)

Upvote 0
I replied a bit too quickly! On second thought, maybe too high level for what you're looking for! ;-)
Thanks I do very much enjoy the Weber videos, but yes it may be higher level than what I'm trying to find. This video here was a very helpful start, I was able to roughly translate how the data pins from the drive unit are split to the rest of the vehicle and the VCU(?). I think there may be diagrams that I'm looking for in the Tesla toolbox website but I haven't dug in there yet

Upvote 0