Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can car be left “on” but disabled when one walks away with

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Leaf driver here. Here’s the scenario. In hot weather if we just have to run into a store or whatever, with the leaf we just leave it running. AC on etc. As soon as I am 10 feet away with the fob the car is disabled. I close the door, push the door button, it locks and 10 feet later the car is disabked allowing me to leave the AC on so when I come back it’s still nice and cool inside. I don’t think there is a fob for the Tesla. How does one manage this. For that matter can someone get a little detailed on how the whole smartphone thing works on a model 3.

Thanks in advance.

For the Model 3, the smartphone app (at least for the Android version) allows you to turn on the climate control and set it to a certain temperature. Beyond that, I don't use the smartphone as a key.

What I can tell you is that besides the climate control, the smartphone app allows you to unlock/lock the car, flash the lights, honk the horn, start the car and open the frunk and trunk. You can also set valet mode on/off and invoke a speed limit control (nice if you let your offspring drive the car). You can also control charging by starting/stopping and setting the limit where charging will stop. You can also see where the car is located and if it's actually moving, the speed it's going.