Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone left in car chime

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the car even lock when you walk away if you've left your phone in the car? I wouldn't think it would (because it wouldn't detect loss of the Bluetooth signal), and I'm pretty sure it doesn't (I leave my phone in the car when I go to my mailbox and it's never locked on me). And it would not detect the removal (or lack thereof) of a key card since those are only detectable when you put them right up next to the center console (or door pillar sensor).

And I don't think ICE cars have this capability either, or at least not the ones I'm familiar with (granted, it's been awhile). My old Nissan LEAF had a feature where if you tried to lock the door using the pushbutton while the key fob was still inside the car it would beep at you. Is this the kind of thing you are talking about? That's not really the same as what you are asking for as you would normally need your phone to lock the car, so if that is left in the car, it wouldn't lock.

If this is something you inadvertently do frequently and are worried about your car being stolen, I would suggest you use the PIN to drive feature.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Does the car even lock when you walk away if you've left your phone in the car? I wouldn't think it would (because it wouldn't detect loss of the Bluetooth signal), and I'm pretty sure it doesn't (I leave my phone in the car when I go to my mailbox and it's never locked on me). And it would not detect the removal (or lack thereof) of a key card since those are only detectable when you put them right up next to the center console (or door pillar sensor).

And I don't think ICE cars have this capability either, or at least not the ones I'm familiar with (granted, it's been awhile). My old Nissan LEAF had a feature where if you tried to lock the door using the pushbutton while the key fob was still inside the car it would beep at you. Is this the kind of thing you are talking about? That's not really the same as what you are asking for as you would normally need your phone to lock the car, so if that is left in the car, it wouldn't lock.

If this is something you inadvertently do frequently and are worried about your car being stolen, I would suggest you use the PIN to drive feature.
Ice cars do have a triple or double horn sound when u leave key fob or engine running

There are a number of problems with the door locks, you point out one in that the car will not lock if you walk away with the phone left in the car. You should not hear the chime, therefore you have a clue to a problem if you notice the absence of a positive indication (doors locked with chime). Another anomaly is that if you have your phone on you outside of the car, walk up to the back and open the trunk, then close it, the car chimes but the doors may not be locked or they might. I can’t tell what causes this. Once I locked my phone in the car by putting the phone in a backpack and then putting the backpack in the trunk only to be locked out of the car when my passenger shut the trunk. The chime came on. Tesla needs to address this - I understand they are working on a Apple Watch app - but they need to step back and clean this all up.

They know the phone is left in the car if Bluetooth is active inside and the seats are empty - they could play another sound to let you know you left the phone. Right now I look at the mirrors if I am not sure what the door lock status is. All kind of rinky dink.

Dude people sometimes leave their phone in car(in a rush, phone fell between seats,etc). A simple horn sound and doors not locked is all we’re asking for. Every gas car has this, surely Tesla techs can incorporate this in minutes.

Dude people sometimes leave their phone in car(in a rush, phone fell between seats,etc). A simple horn sound and doors not locked is all we’re asking for. Every gas car has this, surely Tesla techs can incorporate this in minutes.
Right now when the car locks, it make a sound that you set. So now you want it to make a sound also when it doesn't lock.

ICE cars make a sound only when you try to lock the door outside while the key is still in the ignition or the FOB is near the steering column. Just think about it first, how would the car know that you forgot to lock it or you just don't want to lock it? If you leave your keys in the car and get out to make a quick run in to the house, my car has never made any noise.